Tuesday, January 20, 2009

fabric-covered night lights

My kids love it when I use my crafting skills to make them something. I can hardly get through the fabric store without a dozen requests from my boys for something made out of "that cool skull fabric!" So this was an easy way to satisfy them while using up some scraps! It's also an awesome way to coordinate in a child's bedroom with any bedding you may have made (I've escaped that request so far). Or make one to match the baby quilt you're making a friend for a fab shower gift. They're super easy!




We found our self-adhesive night light kit at Michael's, but you can also check out these babies from Sunshine Discount Crafts. They're only $3.99 each! Although the shipping is a little steep, so go in on an order with a friend.

The package includes a template that you can trace onto your fabric. Then you simply cut it out (leaving a 1/2" seam allowance) and attach it with the handy self-adhesive in the kit (watch out--not all the kits on this site have a self-adhesive option). Fold the fabric over on each side. You can be done like we were, or add ribbon, beads, etc. with craft glue. Voila! These aren't just for kids' rooms, either. I'm thinking a pretty one in my bathroom would be nice.



Martha gives us an easy tutorial on making your own shade out of paper, fabric, or wallpaper.


Or try this one from The Spoon Sisters. Stick a photograph or any other paper item between the clear plastic. You'll never trip on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night again!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
6 Comments

6 Responses to “fabric-covered night lights”

Ellen said...

Love your blog! Check out mine for the Lemonade Award!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Lovely! I especially love that last one!

Lisita said...

Wow, and here I am searching every store for the perfect night light to match my daughter's orange & bright pink room. What an awesome idea!

Tiffany said...

These are so cute!! Very creative!

KriskropMemories said...

What a great idea, perfect way to use up scraps for sure!

Jenn said...

I like this! Would be excellent in a gift basket or baby shower gift box!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs