Friday, January 9, 2009

gruyere cheese bread


New Year's Eve tends to be pretty low key for the Birdies, mostly because we all have little ones who should never be kept up past bedtime (if we know what's good for us). So we got together early for a fondue party and watched the ball drop in NYC at 9:00 our time. Good times! And great food--we sampled rich cheeses and two flavors of chocolate fondue with tons of delicious dipping morsels.


There was some leftover cheese the next day, so I made this recipe from King Arthur Flour's Web site. It's called Gruyere Cheese Bread, and it's pretty much an exploding volcano of deliciousness. Stop licking your screen, please, and go make yourself a batch. Yu-mmy. Oh, and you don't have to buy expensive Gruyere cheese if you don't want to. Try a mixture of provolone and mozzarella--it's just as tasty!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
20 Comments

20 Responses to “gruyere cheese bread”

PaisleyJade said...

Yummmmmm!

Christina said...

Hey guys! I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. I read it often, and love the tutorials. I decorate cakes and post them to a blog, but would like to start a craft blog soon!
Keep up the great work - God bless,

http://christinasimmons.blogspot.com

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Cheddar is also an excellent cheese to use!!! Yum. Try the extra sharp cheddar.

Anonymous said...

YUMMO, that bread looks divine! We had fondue on NYE, too.

Tricia said...

Yall are killing me...how on earth are we to keep our New Years Resolutions if we're making and eating a batch of that VERY tempting bread? :) LOL...at least licking the screen doesn't cost me any calories! I'll certainly have to try that recipe soon. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Lew said...

Just wanted to let you know I talked about you on my blog today. Love your blog!

BreeAnn said...

Mmmm this looks heavenly

Anonymous said...

That bread looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOO freakind DELICIOUS!

Must. Have. It.

Anonymous said...

This all looks delicious! Thanks for sharing these dishes!

B said...

Yummm!!! Anytime you need an extra taste tester just let me know:)

Abbie said...

WOW, that cheese bread looks to die for! I'm not big into yeast breads (with three small kids I don't get much baking done), but I might have to try a little harder!

Anonymous said...

My family also had a fondue NYE! So much fun :)

My Trendy Tykes said...

Oh, you totally caught me licking the screen. LOL!

YUM

Linda

CreativeMish said...

Oh my gosh! I am drooling and must make this!

LiEr said...

I baked that bread just hours ago! After reading your post I went out and got provalone and did the starter. We had it for lunch and even the baby (9 mths) loved it. Thanks for posting about it! My starter, after 14 hrs, looked nothing like the wet bubbly thing in the pictures on the website but I mixed the dough and stuck it in a room with our portable heater and it still doubled in size. All good.

MuseSwings said...

I popped over from SITS to say Hi! The bread looks delicious!!!

Mojavi said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm those look amazing! good camera picture too!

Anonymous said...

OMG. I looked at the recipe for that bread and all I can say is...come to mama! I'll be making that for the kids (and me!) this week.

Unknown said...

Wow - I'm drooling all over my keyboard! That looks yummy. Gonna have to try that. Oh and that Valentines wreath looks nice too - off to check that out!

Tracy

Unknown said...

My kind of NYE. Good food and good friends! YUM for that bread!
♥Jen

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs