Friday, June 1, 2012

easy washi tape gift tags {favorite things}


I've got a lot on my plate, (you can probably tell by my lack of crafty posts lately), but somehow I managed to find a few days to hit Chicago this month with some of the most amazing women I know.
The seven of us have been friends since high school (some of us even longer!), and I love that when we see each other it's as if no time has passed. We live all over the country, and we've tried to have a girls trip every 2-3 years, but this is the first time all seven us (plus one cute baby boy) could actually make it. And I so needed it. We shopped, we ate, we saw the sights, but mostly we talked. And talked. And talked. It was a weekend of much-needed therapy on so many levels.
Jazz hands! Yes, we're dorks, but I LOVE US!

This year we started a new tradition. We had a "favorite things" party, exchanging small gifts of something we are loving at the moment. So, so fun!

I've been loving washi tape for a while (remember how I hunted it down in Japan before it showed up everywhere here?), but most of my collection is in storage back in Seattle. My friend Kalli gave me this assortment of paper tape from Target recently, and I've been using it a lot lately for quick and easy gift tags (they literally take under a minute to make), and I knew my friends would love it.

So I put together these washi tape gift tag kits as my favorite thing gift, including assorted sizes of gift tags, 2 rolls of washi tape, a pack of alphabet stickers, and a length of coordinating ribbon, and made a sample tag with each girl's initial to tie on the bag.

Washi Tape Gift Tags Tutorial
*Assorted, coordinating washi tapes
*Blank shipping tags or card stock cut into tags (I found packs at Hobby Lobby)
*Alphabet letter stickers (I used Thickers, but I found $1 letter sticker packs at Walmart for the favorite things gifts)
*Ribbon (I wrapped lengths of ribbon around clothes pins to keep it tidy in the bags)

1. Place strips of washi tape on bottom 1/2 of a gift tag, wrapping the ends around the back.

2. Place monogram letter sticker on tag, slightly overlapping the tape.

3. Tie to gift with a piece of coordinating ribbon.

  

I used one of the tiny tags and a single strip of paper tape for this sugar scrub gift (tutorial coming soon!).

These are even great for boys' and guys' gifts!

Lots of scrapbooking companies are now making washi tape (you can even find it at Target in the desk organization aisle), or you can try my favorite brand, mt, that I got in Japan and here at Ginko Papers. It really is one of my favorite things!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “easy washi tape gift tags {favorite things}”

tinajo said...

I do enjoy washi tape, so easy to play with! :-)

tara said...

I love that washi tape too! What were some of the other favorite things?

Simply AJ said...

The tags are adorable! Such a clever way to personalize a gift tag adding just the right touch... well done! Thanks for sharing this project. AJ@queenofmynest

Anonymous said...

We'd love to see what everyone else gave as gifts, too!

marie said...

These tags are so cute...and I love the way you packaged it allup. Great little gift idea!

April said...

I LOVE LOVE making tags as well, these ones are so clean and fresh!

Here's some I made a few months ago with paint and tea:
http://pastelprimitives.blogspot.com/2012/03/tea-paint-tags.html

Unknown said...

Really cute tags...I was thrilled to see that Target had some too!

Sweet Sapling said...

Those gift tags are so pretty! I love them! Great idea!!

Tani said...

such a cute idea!!

shamraiz said...

Your creativity is endless and at such a high level! I love them all! Hugs,
SAM.........
Send Gifts to Pakistan From UK
Hank Hendricks

Unknown said...

So, so cute. Love the nifty gifties!

Never used washi tape before, but I might just have to try - those tags are just too cute!

Laurie said...

Where did you find washi tapes in Chicago?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs