Monday, March 14, 2011

rice krispie treat shamrocks {st. patrick's day treat}

I needed a quick and easy St. Patrick's day treat for my kiddos, so I went with my go-to kid treat: Rice Krispie Treats! I didn't have a shamrock cookie cutter, but I pulled out a small heart cookie cutter, my green food coloring, and my little chefs, and here's what we came up with.


I used The Original Rice Krispie Treats™ Recipe from the Kellogg's Web site. After adding and melting the marshmallows, I added a few drops of green food coloring and stirred well, then continued on with the recipe. When it was time to press them in the pan, I flattened them on a jelly roll pan / cookie sheet so I'd have room to cut.



To make a shamrock with a heart cookie cutter, cut four hearts out. Press them together at the points. Then cut a small, rectangular piece for the stem and squish it between the bottom two heart points. Voila! We also added a sprinkling of green non pareils for a little more green.



I wrapped these in cello bags and tied them with green ribbons and a simple circle tag for a cute gift. Then I finished the rest of the Rice Krispie treats off myself. No kidding. Lucky me!


Here are a few other awesome St. Paddy's ideas I've got on my list from around the blogosphere. I'm making that banner for sure (you know me and book paper)! Enjoy!

Simple and darling St. Patrick's banner from Simple As That:


Cute treats and printable tags from it is what it is:




And this fun Leprechaun trap from Family Fun:

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
14 Comments

14 Responses to “rice krispie treat shamrocks {st. patrick's day treat}”

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of trouble cutting my RK treats with a cookie cutter. Any tips?

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Rebkatz: Yes! Press them out thinner than you would in a 9x13 pan. Another reason to use a cookie sheet. :)

Nic :) said...

Fabulous Krispie cookies!
bet they taste fabulous and they look just the part

x

Shannon said...

So Cute! My nephews would love making these...:-)
Just wanted to let you know about an awesome sponsor giveaway going on right now on my blog: a cute charm necklace from the She Drinks Coffee at Midnight Etsy shop. :-) Hope to see you there!

Have a great day and God bless,
Shannon

belowtheplateau.blogspot.com

Emily Call said...

So cute! Love all the ideas.

rebkatz: try spraying your cookie cutter with cooking spray before cutting them out.

beetree said...

So cute! Also, if you coat your cookie cutter with a smear of butter, it helps them release. :)

Natalie said...

These are too cute! Great idea!

LittleCakes said...

Always the cutest ideas!!! Thanks for sharing such fun stuff!

kissinia said...

Brilliant ideas! Thanks for sharing! Happy Paddy's Day!

Kristin said...

0o0o yummy rice crispy treats...Im going to have to try that soon..:D

Maxabella said...

So cute! I'm kinda glad that even though I'm of Irish decent, Paddy's day isn't really on my radar. Too many holidays requiring clever crafts and cooking!! x

rebecca said...

thanks so much for sharing my st. patrick's day banner. i've been a loooonnng time fan of your blog & I couldn't be more thrilled!! :) rebecca

beth said...

Thanks so much for the feature! Those shamrock rice krispie treats are brilliant!

Heidi said...

Love, love the licorice idea!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs