Sunday, March 8, 2009

american hero quilts show and possible block swap


A friend and I attended the American Hero Quilts quilt show in Redmond, WA this weekend. It was so touching. Sue Nebeker, the founder of the amazing American Hero Quilts, shared the story of the organization as well as many of the 100 quilts they have recently finished to give to wounded soldiers and marines returning from the war. It was so inspiring to see all the hard work that had been done to welcome these brave men and women home, and to thank them for their service and sacrifice on our behalf. What an incredible woman! She took her passion and turned it into something that blesses the lives of so many others. And all the patriotic quilts ready to be donated were gorgeous. Two marines were there to hold up each quilt as she talked. Nan from Pots and Pins reported they raised over $7,000 at this event. WOW! (Hey Nan, I know you were there, but I looked everywhere and never found you!)


If you love quilting and want to donate fabric, money, or your long-arm quilting abilities, go to the American Hero Quilts Web site for more info. One-hundred percent of their donations go to making these beautiful quilts for our wounded American service men and women. It's a great cause.

Besides a great bake sale and fabric sale, there were tons of beautiful quilts on display. Here are a few of my favorites.


This was actually the back side of a quilt I loved--amazing!

Couldn't resist the little birdie theme!

Wouldn't this stocking one be darling for a Christmas quilt? I'm putting this one in my to-do file!

This circle quilt is a cute Halloween theme, but the designer of this quilt showed us a couple of others she made with the same design. One was even the result of a block swap (I don't know what they actually call it in the quilting world, but it is similar to our card swap idea). Each participant makes a bunch of one block of specific dimensions, and then you swap. You end up with enough blocks for a quilt top (or part of one, depending on the size of the group). Any readers interested in trying this? I have almost forgotten how much work the card swap was and might be able to facilitate this sometime soon. Leave us a comment if you're interested!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
25 Comments

25 Responses to “american hero quilts show and possible block swap”

SquirrelGurl said...

I've been interested in trying my hand at making a quilt, I'd be up for a quilt block swap!

I'm currently in the middle of making a "no-sew" quilt. It's a adventure but oh so fun!

Suzee said...

I would LOVE to do a quilt block swap with you. Let me know the details!

erica e said...

amazing quilts! thanks for sharing! i've done similar quilt block swaps before and would love to participate if you do one!

Aunt Spicy said...

Count me in for the quilt block exchange! A group of us did a quilt block exchange last year and I loved it! We each chose one fabric from the Flea Market Fancy line and the result was stunning. (http://auntspicy.blogspot.com/2008/08/its-almost-done.html)

Miya said...

I would be interested in it. My only reservation is if its a huge group, I would want to keep it sorta small-ish?? And be curious of time frame? I'm always up for swaps! Yay!

Care said...

I would absolutely LOVE to do a block swap! Would there be color limitations, or strictly size limitations?

Oooh, I hope there are enough people who want to do it!!

Anonymous said...

Mandy - I'm so sorry I missed you! I was probably in the back making lunch for the Marines!!! Weren't they adorable?! I'm so, so glad you came to the show - our numbers were much lower than we expected but everyone who came was extremely generous and we are so very grateful!! It was a wonderful day - and now you know why we did the show for Sue - she IS an amazing woman!!! Thanks again for letting your readers know about this and for coming and supporting us!!! And I'd love to participate in a block swap...if you need help in deciding how to do it, go to www.fredashive.blogspot.com she did a house block swap last fall that was great fun and hugely successful!!! Thanks again! xoxo, Nan

Anonymous said...

Forgot a few things...the circle quilt has been done a zillion times within our group - I think all of us own at least 3 circle quilts!! They are super easy and fun to swap - we used a CD as our pattern. The sock quilt was one our group did together - we had a sew day, we all brought fabric cut into big blocks and then we swapped so we all have quilts that are the same yet different. It was very fun and came together fast because it's all machine appliqued...so go for it! xoxo, Nan

Jamie said...

I am up for it!!!

Megan said...

I would love to be a part of a block swap... I am new to quilting so it would need to be easy for me..Any ideas of things I should learn about quilting? I love you blog. :)

Lindsey said...

I'd really love to do a block swap. Let me know what/when!

amy said...

I would love to do a quilt block swap! I just started quilting this past year and I love it. It would be so much fun to do a swap!

Melissa said...

I would LOVE to do a block swap! Let us know the details!

Letti said...

These quilts are beautiful. I just wish I coould be so talanted.

sewtakeahike said...

I would definitely be up for the block swap if you end up doing one! Keep me posted!

mylittlegems said...

beautiful quilts! My sister lives in your area and is an amazing quilter :) She actually made a huge stocking quilt years ago, similiar to the one pictured, for our parents. It was so darling- all the children and grandchildren were represented with a stocking and our names were stitched by each stocking :) I love your blog and read it often. Thanks for all the great ideas and posts!

Jen T said...

I am new to your blog, but I would be interested in the quilt block swap. One of my new year's resolutions was to make a quilt, so count me in!

Sara said...

I could get behind the idea of a block swap. Let me know when you have more details!
Sara
sames5 at verizon dot net

Abs said...

I'm totally in---our own virtual quilting bee. :)

abbiemerkley @ gmail.com

Summer said...

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea! I'd like to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!

CocoJ126 said...

oh yes...the stocking quilt...i want to make one in Christmas colors too! ! ! super cute idea....love it!

Nanette Merrill said...

Nan is fabulous. I'm so glad they did well. I love that pink and green one with the grid and the flowers appliqued. So sunny and light/happy.

Lori Jolley said...

I would love to try a swap like this! Please do it! I woul participate!

Lesli and Rebecca said...

I'd love to do a block swap!
What fun!

Lesli Richards

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs