Friday, August 27, 2010

penuche frosting - reader submission

Our sweet reader, Danielle emailed us her mother's recipe for penuche frosting. It looks absolutely divine. I love that not only can you use it as a frosting, but Danielle told us you can also eat it like candy. Delish!



Penuche Frosting
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
In a saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar. Cook until bubbly, stirring continually. Remove from heat. Add milk; beat vigorously till smooth. Add powdered sugar. Bear by hand till of spreading consistency. Immediately frost on cake, or drop by spoonful onto parchment paper for eating. Yum yum! Just like candy!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
9 Comments

9 Responses to “penuche frosting - reader submission”

Kaleidoscope Eyes 8 said...

I LOVE penuche icing!!! My grandma always made it and put it on white angel food cake. My cousins, aunts, uncles, and I would always fight over who got to lick the spoon. I also had a habit of taking a piece of the cake, eating just the icing, and then giving the rest of the cake to my dad. Oh, the sacrifices parents make for their children. ;-)

No one else ever knows what I am talking about when I mention it though, so I am glad to see this post!

folksmith said...

OMG! I love penuche fudge, can't wait to try this recipe.

Cindy said...

what kind of cake besides angel food would this be good on? I truly have no idea.

Nicolette said...

I have to say when I tried this last night it didn't turn out quite right. Is anything missing? Any hints to make it work a bit better?

Natalie said...

Oh wow. Yum yum YUM!!!!!!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Looks divine but I'm at a complete loss on how to pronounce "penuche". LOL!

folksmith said...

made this today and i can't stop eating it. i'm eating like candy. it is so good.

Unknown said...

We made the icing and spread it into a greased pan to cool for penuche fudge without the nuts. It was delightful but is almost gone after two days in our house!

Astrid, I've always heard it pronounced puh-NOO-chee.

Atticelf said...

Penuche icing is awesome. Slap it on some spice cupcakes. Mmmmmm....

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs