Friday, August 13, 2010

and then it was blueberries...

So I recently posted about the fabulous raspberries I picked, and two weeks ago I got a big box of blueberries! I love summer. I love that we move from one fruit to the next and I am always freezing, canning, or cooking with fruit. These gorgeous berries made my day....



I flash-freezed a ton of them to use in smoothies, desserts, and what-not over the next year until I get more. I am also planning on canning some blueberry syrup with a recipe from the Ball Blue Book which I turn to for all things canning.

I also made these delicious blueberry cake bars...

Blueberry Cake Bars
1 package yellow cake mix
2 sticks of butter, melted
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar

Place first 6 ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of this mixture for the topping and set aside. Pour remaining batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Press into bottom of pan. Place blueberries and sugar in bowl to combine. Pour onto the crust. Scatter pieces of reserved crust mixture over top. Bake at 350 until light brown about 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire rack.


And don't forget about this scone recipe that I posted about a while back. These are heavenly! I recently ate them again while at my parents' place and they never cease to satisfy.


Like I said, I love all the fruit in summer. What do you like to make with fresh blueberries? I am picking up my peach order today, so I will be pretty busy with all those fuzzy guys for the next while.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
18 Comments

18 Responses to “and then it was blueberries...”

Nancy said...

I will definitely try those bars. I can't wait to hear how the syrup comes out. The stuff I buy is good but homemade where you know all the ingredients...yum!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

My crew always requests blueberry cobbler. I just canned 1/2 bushel of peaches yesterday. Have fun!:)

Rockstargirlz said...

Those look amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Fatticus Finch said...

Those bars look insanely delicious! I must go out and get some cake mix to make them!

dannyscotland said...

My 19 month old daughter eats them plain, like candy.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Yum! I bought 10 lbs of blueberries last week. I am going to try the blueberry cake bars. Thanks for the recipe.

**Heidi** said...

oh my that look delish!!!! gonna have to try both those recipes...thanks!

Clare said...

I just bought fresh blueberries yesterday, so the timing is providential! I am planning on making blueberry pancakes tomorrow, but I think I will have plenty left to try this recipe. Looks tasty!

jen said...

Sadly, my blueberry bushes planted this year grew from teeny little sticks in the ground ... they're growing, but it will be awhile before I'm making blueberry bars! ... unless I'm only making "a" bar. I might have to break down and buy some though for this recipe ...

Deborah Stewart said...

Those look soooo yummy!

Mollye said...

Oh these all look wonderful and there is not much in life better for you than blueberries!

Lima said...

those bars look delish. I will be trying out this recipe tonight. Thanks for the post. xx

MikaMale said...

I love soft fruits!In the little park where I let my dog run free, I found an amazing blackberry bramble... so I actually have a nice basket of bluberries waiting for me (and oven ;P) in my kitchen...

I'd love to taste your sweet cake bars...they look delicious!!!

Laura said...

Just a heads up, I just read this in my google reader without opening the full post. At the bottom of the page there was a link to take someone to "Consumer News". It's an advertisement (and a scam) for loosing weight with a berry supplement but they make it look and sound like a legitimte news page. You may have already known about it, but I wouldn't want your readers to think that you were supporting a company like that.

Unknown said...

Both recipes look good, but um I am a sucker for scones. I definitely want to try that one out.

Terrell said...

YUMMM! you just can't beat fresh blueberries!! This looks delish!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Kelli said...

These look so yummy!

Kelli
xoxo

Cola said...

These were wonderful! Thank you so much for this recipe! This is how they turned out: pic

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs