Wednesday, January 27, 2010

sweep me off my feet - painted broom tutorial



While browsing through the cleaning supply section at the local store, I saw a whole leopard print line of dustpans, brooms and other various cleaning supplies. I thought it was very clever, but I wasn't sure I was really the leopard-print-broom type. However, it did give me the idea for this next project.

I wrangled a dear friend (and super talented one to boot) to come over and help me with this broom makeover. I love how it turned out and I am excited to make some more as gifts for friends. I think this would be a darling house warming gift or fun gift for the gal in your life that likes a little style as she cleans (remember our pretty rubber gloves tutorial?).



You will need:
One large wood handle broom-I found this at the hardware store for $12
Paint
Spray paint-optional
Painters tape
Brushes
Clear top coat-we used Krylon clear spray coat

I first spray painted my whole handle red. It was the easiest and fastest way to get the whole handle covered. Be careful here, I accidentally got some red paint on the bristle part of the broom and it was really tough to recover from that. We painted it as you can see, but that wasn't my preference. I would have rather left that part alone. So, be sure to tape off and cover up any areas you do not want paint on.


Once that part was done, we moved on to the detail work with small brushes. We decided on a sweet floral theme. With Valentine's Day around the corner, we were in the mood for pinks and reds.

I love these little flowers.

Take your time and have fun with your painting. We made our pattern up as we went.


Once you are done, cover the whole broom handle in a clear topcoat to prevent the paint from chipping off.


***WARNING*** As my brother so cleverly pointed out--husbands, do not give this to your wife for Valentine's Day. I don't care if you got a matching toilet cleaner and apron in her favorite colors. This will send the wrong message. Stick with the chocolates and spa gift certificates.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
25 Comments

25 Responses to “sweep me off my feet - painted broom tutorial”

trish said...

Are you kidding me?! That is *SO* cute!
Wait until I get a hold of my rakes! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Jackie said...

What a lovely idea! Makes me want to make my own now :)

ELK said...

that turned out so lovely...like the warning at the end..so true...although this with chocolates would be ok with me....elk

love your blog!

ELK said...

that turned out so lovely...like the warning at the end..so true...although this with chocolates would be ok with me....elk

love your blog!

peawink said...

I love it! How easy to turn a mundane task into something pretty!

Another quick and easy idea would be to decoupage the handle with a cute wrapping paper (might need to paint the handle white first) ... not my own idea (well I guess it is) - it's just that's what I thought you had done until I say the paint tubes.

Unknown said...

Love it. What a fun idea. Great color choices. Off to find my paints.

Heather said...

Such an adorable idea! I love this!

Jami said...

How cute!

Karen said...

Now THAT is a broom you can leave OUT, on display! It really is ultra cute and thanks for including the Hubby Warning! :> lol

Lisa said...

I always see that leopard broom at the store and want it SO bad. I actually have the leopard print rubber gloves : ) So this project is great! LOVE it!

Crystal said...

This is so cute! It would make a really cute bridal shower gift (and I want one too.)
-Crystal

~~Deby said...

This is adorable..you did a great job...makes you just want to SWEEP---or you could even decoupage the handle...you got me thinking here...dangerous...
Deby

Deanna said...

Where is my broom? I want to try this right now!

Maybe I should paint my mop too so I won't mind that chore so much!

Kimara said...

I love it when you can take an everyday item and make it special. Not that I'm a fan of sweeping BUT since we have to do it, might as well add a little pizzazz! This is beyond cute! I'll be linking on Facebook. Thanks for a swell tute :)

Amanda said...

this is one of the cutest projects I've seen yet, I can't believe I never thought of it. Wow! Thanks gals. You've made my sweeping lots more enjoyable!

Twiddle Thumbs said...

I LOVE this!!!!!!
My 10 yrs old broom needs a make-over!

Jerri said...

Love this! Just think of all the people out there who will now love to sweep! You've made the world a cleaner place!!

Tracy said...

Oh, I hope you show us how to make those adorable lil' flowers! My Mom is an avid paint but doesn't live by me Ö I think I'll have to resort to "rub-ons" if I'm left to try those without instructions..hint, hint *Ü*
THANKS!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Your broom is so pretty! I love this idea. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Marybeth said...

I love it! Making cleaning more fun! Cuz I am one of those people that definitely hates to clean...I am going to have to try it...definitely can't hurt! Love the warning at the end! XO<3:)Marybeth
http://suiteheart.blogspot.com/

Pink Princess said...

LOVE it ♥♥

Amy said...

Wow talk about C-U-T-E That is adorable. I think I may just do that to my 2 year olds broom for her little play kitchen too! Great idea!

Shelby said...

That is an awesome idea! I never would have thought to craft a broom! I think I will try mod podging wrapping paper on mine! :)

Saskia ♥ Stipje ♥ said...

so so nice.
__**_**
_**___**
_**___**_________*** *
_**___**_______**___ ****
_**__**_______*___** ___**
__**__*______*__**__ ***__**
___**__*____*__**___ __**__*
____**_**__**_**____ ____**
____**___**__**
___*___________*
__*_____________*
_*____0_____0____*
_*_______@_______*
_*_______________*
___*_____v_____*

Stipje from holland

Unknown said...

This rocks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs