Wednesday, January 6, 2010

cozy hand-warming ice scraper




Winter is in full swing in a lot of places so we thought we would share a tutorial that will help keep your hands cozy warm as you scrape off the ice from your cars.

Supplies:
Ice Scraper-I found this for a dollar at Fred Meyer
Two pieces of fleece measuring. 9 inches by 18 inches
Sewing machine and Thread, Scissors


First cut your pieces so they are 9 inches by 18 inches. I used regular fleece and super cozy fleece.

Lay your fleece pieces right sides together (if there is a right side-with the green piece it didn't matter what side I used. The cozy fleece had a right and wrong side)

Sew down both 9 inch sides.

You should have a tube like this.

Turn your fleece with the right side out so your seams are inside and not showing.

Next, measure the width of your scraper where you want it to go through the cozy. Mine was 2 inches.

Now, you can make a buttonhole using this measurement. In my case, it was 2 inches. This is not necessary. If you are using fleece, you can just cut a 2 inch slit. However, it may not stand up to a lot of wear and tear and may eventually stretch out or rip into a bigger slit. If you are using cotton or any other fabric, I suggest not skipping this step.

I also recommend using a marking tool to mark the center of your fabric so your buttonhole is in the middle. Do not eyeball this part. Mark where your buttonhole should be.

When your buttonhole is done, fold your fabric right sides together again. The outside fabric should be folded in and you should see the fabric you want as the liner.

Sew down both sides.

Turn inside out.

Insert your ice scraper through your buttonhole.

Now you are set and will hopefully avoid any frozen fingers as you de-ice your car.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
18 Comments

18 Responses to “cozy hand-warming ice scraper”

Mireya said...

Oh my gosh, I could've used one of these this morning! Everything was frozen, even the door handles!

Elizabeth said...

This is such a good idea!

arkie said...

Great project for these cold days! Thanks for the clear instructions!

Unknown said...

You guys have the best ideas!

LuLu Kellogg said...

This is a wonderful idea and it sure will keep your hand from freezing while you are scraping. Thank you for the tutorial!

LuLu Kellogg
Coastal Sisters

Evelyn said...

I love that! You could probably sell that idea to someone - I can totally see those being sold in regular stores. I need to make some for my friends in Iowa. :)

Lisita said...

Wow, this is super super cool!

Ann On and On... said...

Another fun project for me to do on my sewing machine...Thanks for the idea!

Gentry Family said...

Love these! Another thing you could do is add elastic to the bottom so that snow doesn't go up inside!

Anonymous said...

That is just what I need here in the very snowy Scottish Borders!!

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

I love that you used fleece. I should have used fleece on mine. I just posted a very similar tutorial yesterday!!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi friends--just wanted to leave a little note because we've had some drama going on about this post. We realize another lovely blogger posted a similar tutorial this week (see Amy's comment here for the link!), and one reader thought we had stolen this idea from her. So not true! This post was actually written several days ago and put on our calendar to publish today. Even if we had not done that, there is no way we had time to see Amy's great post, copy it, take pictures, write the post, and publish it within a day of her posting! We are busy mamas! If we had borrowed her idea, we would have given her credit and linked to her site, as we always do when we find ideas elsewhere. I guess the only explanation is great minds think alike!

Okay, sorry about that. I feel better now. :)

mandy

-Sydney- said...

This is so funny!! I saw one of these things when I was at the store today (before I saw your post) and I immediately thought "that would be a good project for the Birdies!" Way to go girls!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG...so i am nominating you for a lemonade stand award!

The Lemonade Stand Award is awarded for being a blogger who shows great attitude and gratitude.

here are the details! Thanks for inspiring me and so many others!

http://theadventuresofroryandjess.blogspot.com/2010/01/lemonade.html

Unknown said...

So cute. You made that? Impressive.

http://stayhomeandplay.blogspot.com

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

What a great idea!!!!!!! Fabulous. Love your blog and will be following along!!!

Jen said...

WOw! What a neat Idea. I am SO making one for my hubby!

Editor said...

Wow! such a great idea! I could have used those a long time ago and I wouldn't have had frozen hands!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs