Saturday, July 28, 2012

easy timeout glitter bottles for kids {tutorial}

After attending some family counseling with my children, I ended up with some great ideas to help my boys deal with anger and frustration appropriately. My favorite is the glitter bottle. The swirling and twinkling of the glitter is mesmerizing, almost as if you're looking deep into outer space. It's a little trippy. But it does wonders for the attitude of a cranky kid! Simply hand it to them when they start to get angry and instruct them to shake instead of sending them to timeout. Here's how to make these simple timeout glitter bottles to help a frustrated kid calm down quickly.


Timeout Glitter Bottle Tutorial
 
 Supplies:
*Empty 1-liter plastic bottle with lid
*Small bottle of glitter glue
*Matching glitter
*Super glue
*Water

1.  Wash your empty plastic bottle and remove the label. If you have a difficult time removing the sticky residue from the label, try a little Citrisolv on a paper towel--works like a charm!

2. Fill your bottle about 3/4 full with water. You don't want it too full or you won't be able to shake it up properly!

3. Squeeze the contents of the glitter glue into the bottle. The glitter glue might take some time to become diluted and really work well. Just be patient and those globs will soon melt away!
 Get your child to help if they're old enough!



4. Pour fine glitter (preferably the same color as your glitter glue) into the bottle. I used almost a whole vial of my glitter, but how much you use is up to you. I would say 4-5 Tablespoons would be plenty. If it doesn't look like enough when you shake it up, add some more. 

5. Once you have enough glitter to create a cool effect, super glue the lid on. (I don't even want to think about the mess this would make it if were spilled.) We added tags so we could give these bottles as gifts. Shake and enjoy being hypnotized by glitter!
And check out this post for 4 more ways to help children calm down and control their anger!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
6 Comments

6 Responses to “easy timeout glitter bottles for kids {tutorial}”

Natasha Mairs - Serenity You said...

these are great and will give these a try with my eldest. pinned!

Mrs. S. said...

I love these. We made some earlier this year and put little things from dollar tree inside for them to focus on while the glitter settles.

Ashleigh Nichole said...

Such a cute & fun idea :)

Julie S said...

GREAT idea! I work at a co-op preschool. Not only can I use this with the kids but also with some of the parents... ;)

Donna Huisinga said...

This sounds like a wonderful craft idea. I pinned it.

Geri said...

I just made this with my 3 year old son. He never takes time outs well, gets angry, will say mean things, and throw a tantrum, I seen this post, and decided to have him help me make one, while we made it I explained what it is for, but that when he looks at it, it will tell him when he can get up from time out. Surprisingly we needed to use it fairly soon, so we got the time out bottle shook it up, and he sat in his time out QUIETLY... I was amazed how well it worked for him. When he finished he said it looked like he was in a rocket ship flying in the stars :)
Thanks for the great idea!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs