Wednesday, September 7, 2011

custom spray paint from acrylic paint {martha stewart crafts}

I am super excited to show you the new trick I learned to turn regular old acrylic paint into spray paint! But first I have to tell you about not one but two places we're guest posting today. . .

ModernMom is kicking off a new section of their Web site called Wednesday Crafternoons, and we were their first project! Check out these pretty cupcake stands (similar to our cake platter). I love a quick and easy project like this! And while you're there, check out the rest of the ModernMom site--they've got something for every kind of mom. Very cool.



The other place we're being featured is one of our favorite crafty blogs EVER! Eighteen25 is hosting a September Spooktacular with fabulous Halloween projects every day this month. Go check out our Halloween Chandelier and say hi to my girls Jen, Jodie, and Jamie! Then come back here and see my secret for painting the embroidery hoops used in the project. You're going to freak!


Okay, now that you're back, let me tell you about two awesome new products from Martha Stewart Crafts that Plaid sent me to try (available in Michael's stores now!). I am jumping up and down about them! First, the new Martha acrylic paints work almost any surface, so you can use them on wood, fabric, glass, plastic, metal, you name it! And they are dishwasher and washing machine safe, too. Crazy, right? These ain't your mamma's acrylic paints. And of course the colors are gorgeous, and there are 160 of them. Eeee!

The next exciting product is even better. You know how when you want to spray paint something you have to buy a whole big can of spray paint, even if it's just a little bitty thing? And have you ever noticed how few cool, trendy colors spray paint comes in? Martha took care of that, too. Now you can turn any acrylic paint (as in one of the pretty colors from above) into spray paint! I tried their new Spray Paint Kit (there's one for satin finish and another for gloss/metallic finishes) to paint my embroidery hoops for the Halloween chandelier and a few other goodies.

Here's how easy it is. Gather your kit, paint color of your choice, and item to be painted.


Pour equal amounts of the spray paint medium and the acrylic paint into the mixing bottle (everything except the paint is included in the kit).

 Shake it up to mix the medium and the paint.


 Pop the sprayer on top of the paint container like so.


4. Spray! I did two easy coats and it looked great! 

Okay, so black spray paint is not hard to find and I do own a large bottle of it. But I couldn't wait to try it! Next I chose a color I could not find ANYWHERE in regular spray paint: coral. I'm loving it with turquoise and mustard yellow right now (another project in that palette coming soon!

I found this little lovely at an awesome thrift store in Minnesota (more on that soon, too). It looks like it's maybe a napkin holder? But I thought it would be perfect to hold cards or mail on my desk. It just needed a little character.

A couple of coats of coral acrylic paint sprayed on with my Martha spray paint kit. . .

And voila! The perfect card holder for my craft desk! (No, these cards still haven't been sent. I know, I'm horrible. But they sure look cute on my desk!).

I've still got quite a large collection of things to be spray painted from my thrifting spree--my spray paint kit is going to get a workout this weekend!


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
13 Comments

13 Responses to “custom spray paint from acrylic paint {martha stewart crafts}”

Gina S said...

Thank you for the heads up on this! I hadn't heard about it yet but loving it already.

Bobbie said...

OH WOW I am jazzed about this! now I wont have to try to match my spray paint to the acrylics! This is GREAT!!!! - Are the sprayers reusable?

Katie said...

I love the Halloween Chandelier font. Does anyone know what it is and where I can get it?

Jannie, Mom, Grams said...

What is the clean up like?

Life With Lucy said...

OH wow this is amazing. I had no idea she had come out with that kit. Thanks so much for sharing. I am giddy looking at the last picture there of all the things you have to work on! Enjoy!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Bobby--yes, the sprayer is reusable. Just clean with water as soon as you're finished with a color. Jannie, the clean up is really easy! Just rinse with water, then fill a cup with water and put the end of the sprayer in it and spray out water until it runs clear. Just takes a few minutes! Katie, the font in the Chandelier title is called LD Eleanor Rae and it is on sale for $1 right now here: http://www.scrapnfonts.com/searchdetail.php?psku=12183

Floppin Flower said...

That is really awesome!!! I am so glad you shared this. I actually am heading to Michaels tomorrow and will be checking this out!!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing...you got a shout-out on my blog!

http://whereiswaldie.blogspot.com/2011/09/martha-geek-out.html

Lauren

Nancy said...

I saw this at Michael's last week and didn't pay much attention to it. Thanks for sharing, now I have to go back with my 40% off coupon!

-Sydney- said...

is it a pump type sprayer, or does it spray continuously like you would expect with spray paint? No compressed air involved so just trying to imagine how it works.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Sydney--it is not a pump sprayer, it sprays continuously just like a spray paint. I'm not sure how it works, either! But it's awesome!

-Sydney- said...

I wonder if the mixing medium involves some sort of chemical reaction that releases a gas. . .very interesting! I'm going to have to get a kit. This excites me from an engineering and crafting standpoint!

Michele said...

this literally made my Christmas. I was just googling and came across your blog on this! I have enough cans of spray paint in my garage to open my own store all barely used! Plus, to have more color choices now!!! Squee!! (I know this is an old post but it made my day! HA!)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs