Thursday, June 17, 2010

reader submission: shaving cream painting

This week's reader submission is from Paper Crafts For Children, and boy did it take me back a few years! I remember making fun marbled paper from shaving cream and food coloring in elementary school and thinking it was amazing. This would be a fun project for a Father's Day gift, or gift wrap! Check out Paper Crafts For Children's other fun tutorials, too.

Foam Marbling Tutorial

This paper crafts for children activity gave us all a real buzz, it was fun to do and the decorated paper can be used for so many things! Materials needed for this activity are shaving foam and dyes or food colorings. Also a container to squirt the shaving foam in and of course lots of paper.

1. Shake the shaving foam well and squirt a layer into a dish.



2. Dribble dye or food coloring onto the shaving foam.

3. Gently stir the colours to mix them.


4. Lay a piece of paper on the foam and dye and gently press the paper so that most of it touches the foam.


5. Peel the paper off. Leave it to dry completely. This can take a few hours if it is very thick. Once it is dry, brush off the shaving foam to reveal the print on the paper.


So many crafts, so little time. We love to get new ideas from our readers that we can share with the rest of you. If you have a great tutorial or project you'd like to share, e-mail us with a link to your tutorial, or pictures and text that we can post for you!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
15 Comments

15 Responses to “reader submission: shaving cream painting”

Lisa said...

Here's a little different technique with the shaving cream art. We don't let it dry, but squeegie it off and then let it try. We also sharpie around the design for added depth.

http://readingwithhannah.blogspot.com/2008/10/shaving-cream-art.html

TheNormanFive said...

Wow, that looks fun. I wish I would have known about that a few months ago. I'm a teacher and I always do art with my poetry lessons. In my cabinet I had a bunch of shaving cream from a spelling lesson I had done several years ago. The kids were cleaning out my cabinet and used up all my shaving cream. That would have been a fun art project. Thanks for sharing.

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

We used to do this in the tub when we were little. My parents would put a few lines on the wall of the tub and then a few drops of food coloring. Good for HOURS of clean play! :)

Jessica B said...

Cool!! Can't wait to try this. :)
www.jesseesspot.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

We've done the shaving cream finger painting but we haven't tried this one. We'll have fun with it tomorrow. Thanks!

ShareandRemember said...

It looks neat but takes forever to dry if it actually ever does. I suggest making the print & then wiping it off, leaving some color or outlining the design as suggested above.

Phyllis said...

Those are so beautiful. They would make lovely end papers for homemade books. We are going to have to do this!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

my kids LOVE doing this - we use a squeegie to remove the shaving cream too (makes drying much faster)!

Sarah @ Pink Lime said...

We did this at my son's school, they called them Aurora Borealis prints. We did wipe them off, using a ruler and then let them dry. They are beautiful. If you want an option that uses a little less foam try the trays that meat comes in (I've seen them in the bakery or the deli and they might sell you some clean ones, or you can just eat all the cookies that are on them)

Rossyl said...

this is great - gonna get my shaving cream and colors and go to town. thank you

http://rossylcrafts.blogspot.com/

Terrell said...

WHAAAT??? This is sooo fun!! I can't wait to try it out - and I know my daughter will just love it!
Thanks for the idea!!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

A Little Bit of Everything! said...

Super cool! I'm going to bookmark this project so I can remember to do it at a later time with my kids.

http://tanya-alittlebitofeverything.blogspot.com/

Alison said...

Another way is shaving cream + white glue + paint. Then use like paint and it dries "puffy". :)

Unknown said...

I am going to make this again myself and this time wipe the foam off straight away! That will be so much faster. I also have to try mixing in the PVA or white glue with it to make puffy paint as Alison suggested - kids (and me too) love things with texture. Glad you all liked it:-)

Sarah Craftylocks from http://www.papercraftsforchildren.com

Phyl said...

I've been making shaving cream prints like this with my students. We squeegee it all off immediately with a piece of cardboard, and the results are gorgeous. We do not do it on a tray or anything though. I have the kids tape a rectangle (the size of their paper) on the table, and I squirt the shaving cream directly on the table. It's so easy to clean up - we squeegee the excess off the table, and then use what remains on our sponge and the tables get squeaky clean!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs