Wednesday, June 16, 2010

one-step quilting gloves tutorial


I was so inspired by Stacy's easy butterfly quilt that I headed right over to her house to use her Sizzix die cut machine. I had Cosmo Cricket's Girl Friday fat quarter bundle ready and waiting to be made into a cute baby girl quilt. This quilt comes together really quickly, and it's so cute!

Machine quilting a quilt is my favorite part of the process, but my hands and back get so tired. It's difficult to keep the fabric moving under the darning foot when you're stippling--the fabric is just too slippery. I've seen quilting gloves at the fabric store, but I'd rather save my pennies for more fabric. So I decided to do my hands a favor and figure out how to make my own quilting gloves.

One-Step Quilting Gloves Tutorial

Supplies:
*Pair of snug-fitting gloves--I used an old pair of stretchy winter gloves
*Fabric puff paint


1. In order to create friction, draw lines and shapes over the palms of the gloves with fabric puff paint. I let my kids help me decide what shapes to draw--it doesn't really matter what you draw. Allow to dry according to paint's instructions (mine was four hours). That's it!



I've never used actual quilting gloves, so I can't compare the quality, but these worked beautifully for me. Here's my finished quilt. . .


I hand stitched a little butterfly trail with embroidery floss before adding my batting and backing.

I am in love with this green polka dot fabric I used for the backing. It wasn't part of the Girl Friday line (I found it at Hancock's), but it was such a great contrast to all the pink. Can't wait to give this to a sweet little niece that will be here next month!

I think I am obsessed with butterflies these days. I have two more butterfly projects coming up in the next few days, including my project for Craft Camp over at Skip To My Lou. So be sure to stop by again soon!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
32 Comments

32 Responses to “one-step quilting gloves tutorial”

Kim said...

How pretty! Great gloves!

Kendra@My Insanity said...

That quilt is absolutely gorgeous! I love the way the butterflies look like they are about to take off and fly!

Unknown said...

I don't quilt (yet) but that looks like a great idea. I just wanted to comment and say how gorgeous that butterfly quilt is. Beautiful!

Dana said...

great idea for the gloves- Your stipling is great. Iv been trying out stipling I find it really difficult, Im not sure wheather to try it as a background to my pillow or stick with quilting a straight line- I dont want to ruin my applique as its the first time Iv done both, my practice efforts (see my blog) wern't to good!

Scented Sweetpeas said...

What a fab idea and a beautiful quilt, well done!

Ann On and On... said...

My goodness...that is very-very cute! Do you wash your fabric before using it?

mbb said...

That is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen.

Gloves are great but I am just speachless over the quilt.

Makes me want to try sewing an actual project instead of just odds & sods.

Thanks for such eye candy.

Mandy

~april said...

i'm not typically a quilt fan, but this is gorgeous! wonderful job!

Run by Rugrats said...

Do you use an actual quilting machine to do your quilts? Or just a plain jane sewing machine? Thanks! I love the butterflies, I might have to try it!

Amy M. said...

I love it! The colors that you used are so lovely!!!

-Amy
Crafting by Candlelight

Unknown said...

This is so cute, and I had no idea Cosma Cricket made fabric!!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! and I love your fabric choice! So cute!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

What a great idea! And so easy and cheap. Can you do a tutorial on machine quilting? I have never done it but am dying to try.

The Luke Family said...

I would love a tutorial on how you do such a great job machine quilting. Do you have a special food to do the stippling? Any ideas would be great--I have loads of quilt tops and backs and can't afford to have them quilted.

bedelia said...

I've done that to make non-skid socks but now I might have to make some quilting gloves.

Tricia and Michael said...

have you ever used garden gloves for quilting? they work great (although I can't compare to the "real" thing either) but you can't beat a dollar!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I have another butterfly quilt to finish up soon, so I'll put together a machine quilting tutorial when I do (yes, I use my regular sewing machine and a darning/stippling foot). It's seriously easier than you think!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I have another butterfly quilt to finish up soon, so I'll put together a machine quilting tutorial when I do (yes, I use my regular sewing machine and a darning/stippling foot). It's seriously easier than you think!

Unknown said...

Great idea for the gloves! I didn't even know quilting gloves existed, but after having to lick my palms while sewing in order to get traction, I totally made a pair of these yesterday! Can't wait to try them!

Jessica said...

I REALLY really really look forward to your machine quilting tutorial!
And I love that quilt! Great job.

EmmaTM said...

Great idea for being resourceful and making your own quilting gloves!!

They would probably only be good in cool climates or air-conditioned homes, though... store-bought quilting gloves are nice because they don't make your hands sweat.

Other than that, I'm sure your gloves are just as good (if not better, because they're so cute!)

Love the quilting you did!

Pam said...

Love, love, love this quilt! I love butterflies too =)

Love the gloves, great idea thanks for sharing! I have never done a quilt of any kind and now I can't wait to get my old dirty dusty sewing machine cleaned and oiled up!

I'm brand new to blogging and have NO idea what I'm doing, so I may ask for advice!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea for making quilting gloves! I am just starting to give quilting a try and I've been watching video's on YouTube and one of the ladies said that quilting gloves was a must! Thank You for the Tut! I'm gonna make my own now! ;)

Britney said...

Can't wait for a tutorial! I love the quilt, just beautiful!!!

Heather said...

I love your beautiful butterfly quilt! Maybe it is just me, but I can't get your links to work. I was hoping to find a tutorial... I'm guessing you used light fusible webbing and do you leave the edge raw and it stays nice? Gorgeous quilt!

Erin said...

This is absolutely adorable! I'm sure the lucky baby (and her parents) will cherish this forever! I tried to click on the link to Stacy's butterfly quilt, but it didn't send me anywhere. Could you please pass along the website where I could find that? I'm dying to make something like this for my little girl's first big girl bed!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi all--just updated the link to our original post on how to make this butterfly quilt. I'm not sure why it wasn't working. Thanks for letting us know!

cheryl said...

Hi, I want to thank you for this tutorial as those quilting gloves to buy are a litlle spendy and you made such cute ones. I will definitely try this out. Thanks again and I loved your quilt.

Kylie said...

Hiya!
Love the butterflies. Can you tell me, do you use just a plain white quilters cotton for the background of your quilt top?
Kylie

Unknown said...

I have a friend with latex allergy and what a great idea your gloves are. Thanks for sharing. Bobbi

Cindy Maki said...

I use Mr. Clean gloves from the dollar store. They work great too.
I so love the butterfly quilt. No girls but me over here tho. sigh

Unknown said...

Love the post do you all know how much the mark up is on quilting gloves thanks ;)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs