Saturday, March 6, 2010

cat in the hat tutorial-celebrating Dr. Suess



The kids are celebrating Dr. Suess everyday this next week at school with each day having a fun theme. Monday is "Crazy Hat Day" so I decided to whip up a hat using another hat we had around the house as my template. I documented the steps I took when making this hat in case any of you also need a hat for an upcoming "Crazy Hat Day".

You will need:
3 strips of red felt 3 inches by 21 1/2 inches
2 strips of white felt 3 inches by 21 1/2 inches
One red circle of felt that is approximately 7 3/4 inches in diameter
One white circle ring that is 12 inches in diameter to the outer side of the ring and 3 inches wide

Allright, here is what I did. First, sew your red and white felt strips together. I used my serger. Sew with a 1/4 inch seam if you are doing it on a sewing machine.


Next, fold the sewn strips right sides together and stitch down one side to make a tube.


Next, pin your red 7 3/4 inch in diameter circle to one side of your tube.



Sew or serge it on. Now, pull your hat right side out so all the seams are inside. Now, cut out and pin your ring of white felt. You will notice the hole is 9 inches in diameter and the outer part of the ring is 12 inches in diameter. Pin this ring to the outside of the hat.



When your rim is on you are done.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
7 Comments

7 Responses to “cat in the hat tutorial-celebrating Dr. Suess”

Morgan said...

I have three little boys that would LOVE that hat! Thanks!

Unknown said...

That's adorable!

Anonymous said...

I would where that hat! ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

ashley @ little miss momma said...

What an adorable tutorial! I will have to try this one. Love your blog!

ashley
http://littlemissmomma.blogspot.com

Rene said...

Thanks for the tutorial!! My 7 year old also had to dress for Dr. Suess day, but I decided to go with a simpler character idea. I took a green pipe cleaner and a pom-pom and hot glued them together. He went as Horton and walked around with his hand extended like a trunk.

Stephanie said...

I love this hat! Did you find that it kept its height pretty well? I'm wondering what would happen if you tried stuffing it a little bit....or would that make it too top-heavy?

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Stephanie,

No, it started to topple over after a while, but I think that is okay because in the book his hat kind of turns sideways a bit, right? or maybe not and I am dreaming it up. Either way it was a hit at school and my daughter was happy :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs