Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow Cream Tutorial



We hear some of you are getting a little bit of snow--okay A LOT of snow. If you don't know what to do with all that snow and you have one too many snowmen in your yard already, try making Snow Cream. What, you may ask, is Snow Cream? It is yummy ice cream with snow as one of your ingredients. This is a perfect family activity. Now you don't have to shovel your car out and risk a fender bender on your way to the store for your regular half gallon of ice cream. You can make it.

Laura, a talented Photojournalist, Multi-Media Producer and dear friend in Washington D.C. was kind enough to share a recipe for making Snow Cream.


You will need:

Snow

Vanilla

Milk

Sugar

Spoon and Plastic Bowl

This is an art-not a science so how much vanilla, milk and snow you need will depend on how big a batch you want to make. Taste as you go until you get the flavor you want.


Scoop your desired snow amount into your bowl and sprinkle with vanilla. Next add a splash of milk (Laura added vanilla soy milk here which added an extra vanilla kick to her batch). Now, scoop a couple of tablespoons of sugar into you mix. Laura added two tablespoons for this size bowl.

Mix and EAT. Snow Cream melts more quickly than traditional ice cream so you will want to eat it quickly.

If you are looking for something to do while you eat your new bowl of ice cream, check out Laura's Blog and website. She is so talented and her pictures always tell a beautiful story.


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
22 Comments

22 Responses to “Snow Cream Tutorial”

TexasWren said...

Snowcream!!! I haven't had that in decades!! My mom used to fix it when we were kids. Then, about the mid to late 1960's, she quit. She said it fell through so much air pollution that it wasn't safe to eat anymore.

I wish I'd thought to catch some snow during our storm last night!!

Good memories!

Heather said...

This looks like so much fun... however, we have a dog, so finding "clean" snow might be difficult.

Southern Gal said...

Let me say to anyone reading - if you haven't tried it, you must. We are actually getting snow here now! I was introduced to snow cream as a little girl. My grandmother made it anytime we had snow which wasn't often. That's what made it so special. I make it for my kids, too. It takes me back to my childhood and makes me miss my sweet grandma in a good way. I think Breyer's makes the flavor now. And it really tastes good!

Tiff said...

This is such a cute idea but I'd be worried about the pollution factor as well. I am also in D.C. Apparently we're supposed to get MORE snow next week so... yeah... maybe the massive storms preceding this one will have cleaned the air a bit and the snow will be a somewhat more sanitary!

Deanna said...

I made snow cream for my boys today. Living in Mississippi, it is truly a once in a lifetime treat!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

we always made this growing up. i was thinking about it today with our 10 in. of snow in dallas.

Allison said...

We used to make snow cream when I lived in Germany, but we just took a huge bowl of snow and added maple syrup! Stir it around and add a tiny bit of milk and there you go!

Nubia said...

My mom (born in Mexico) used to make us some of this stuff when I was little. Thanks for the memory boost :)

Mark & Terry Rawlinson said...

THANX FOR THE MEMORIES!! wE DID THIS ALL WINTER YEARS AGO IN NY!! WE EVEN USED TO MIX IT WITH THE CREAM FROM THE FROZEN MILK BOTTLES DELIVERED AT THE BACK DOOR (Yes I am old)

Anonymous said...

Wow! We haven't made this for a long time! I am so surprised that you posted this. I can't wait to go home and make some for my kids.
organic baby crib

paula said...

Ahh the memories. We made this when I was a kid too. I remember being at my best friends house, trying to get the vanilla just right.

I won't be making it now in sunny central AZ:)

Sewing-Chick said...

Oh what a great idea! I have never heard of this, and I grew up in the Snow Belt!

Kella said...

I make this for and with my girls everytime we get a really nice snowfall. Yummy.

Lisa said...

I so want to try this today! My husband will probably say it's gross, but I don't care : )

Brandi said...

We always made snow cream growing up, but instead of regular milk, we use evaporated milk. In my opinion, it makes all the difference.

Nancy said...

I have heard of this but never saw the recipe. What fun, and there certainly is enough of the white stuff outside to keep us all in snow cream! Thanks so much.

MitziMakes said...

wow i cant believe this exists! I've never heard of it before..thanks for the tip! :-)

Shannon said...

I made snowcream last night! Honestly, it's not that fabuclous, but it reminds me of being a kid!

-Sydney- said...

Awesome! I can just eat my way out of the driveway instead of shoveling :)

~*Lets give'em something 2 talk about!*~ said...

Man I am jealous! There is no snow in Florida...Could someone sends some our way? Sounds like a quick and easy recipe.

Lynette said...

We were included in that LOTS OF SNOW category and made TONS of snow creams while we had nice fresh snow. My husband loves to make these for the kids, but he also puts a little food coloring in there to jazz it up for them. This year, we tried making them with orange juice and Mango Tampico instead of milk and they were delicious!!!

Unknown said...

I dont live near any snow, but I have gotten a snowcream flavored lipbalm from mylipstuff.com....I never realized it was an actual thing! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs