Saturday, February 13, 2010

go for the gold-olympic medal cookies



The Olympics are now in full swing and talented athletes from all over the world are in Vancouver competing for the gold. Inspired by the Olympics, I decided to make gold medal cookies for all the superstars in my life. I stopped by my new favorite cake store in Seattle a while ago to pick up some gold paint for another project (more on that later) so I had some supplies on hand.


First, I made my sugar cookies and used a straw to punch out the hole that the ribbon will go through.



Next, I tried out edible gold paint and Luster Dust. The expert behind the counter at the cake store gave me lots of tips on what to use and how to use. I think the edible gold paint was too runny and I didn't like the look. I then switched to Luster Dust. I first mixed it with lemon juice to make a paint. I was a lot happier with the gold color, but still not that satisfied with the look. It did not coat my cookie evenly. It could be user error here. I think I will need to practice more.



This is the cookie with just the Luster Dust paint. Please ignore the yucky edges. I frosted it first with one batch of royal icing, but was not happy with the lumpy/too dry consistency so I went back in and tried to cover up the first icing with another batch of smoother, creamier icing.



When the Luster Dust paint dried, I just took a dry brush and painted the dry Luster Dust on the cookie to get a more even gold appearance. I was much happier with the result and thought the cookie looked a lot better. The dry dust stuck to the icing nicely.



Next, I added my ribbon to the cookie. I just used a simple "USA" on my cookies. I am hoping this will send good vibes to Vancouver and the United States will see a lot of gold this year. Also I am very bad at drawing the five circle Olympic symbol. Just ask my son. He yelled at me to come quick because "something was really wrong with my cookies".


Lastly, I put them in a cellophane bag and added a little message to them.

GO WORLD!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
23 Comments

23 Responses to “go for the gold-olympic medal cookies”

Kristin said...

Wow! Those cool too cool to eat. I love the Olympics, great idea to make an edible medal!

manda said...

You seem to have spelt it wrong!!! It's supposed to say AUS!

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

These are so cute. We just had an Olympic party on Friday night. I was looking for ideas and this would have been so much fun. You'll have to go to my blog if you want some other ideas and also look in the comments section for some others. I'll post my pictures from the party this week. We hope to do a few things here and there during the two weeks. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Those are so cute! Have a great weekend.

The Old White Barn said...

You take the gold for these winners! Great idea - and thanks for the detailed instructions.
Susan

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

I love that idea. I wish I would have seen it on Friday. We had an opening ceremonies party. My husband is Canadian so we had poutine, naniamo bars, and those cookies would have been perfect. Maybe I will make them anyways.

Sew Can Do said...

Cute and gold frosting - how cool is that?!?

Amanda said...

I love this idea!

Sarah said...

These are so cool! You could also use the same gold technique for something on St. Patty's Day too! :)

Girl with the Curlz said...

So cute. What a great idea.

Elaine said...

These turned out great! I like how you added the ribbon and packaged them!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Sarah, great minds think alike. That is exactly what I did. We'll have a post up about it soon!

The Hatch's said...

You can also add a little lemon extract or vodka to any luster dust and you can use it like paint. It's awesome!

TOTEally Posh! said...

Love it!!!

Atticelf said...

These are great! What's the name of the best cake store in Seattle? Inquiring minds are dying to know. :)

Deanna said...

This is so awesome! I am thinking of some fun St. Patrick's day 'penny' cookies....hmmmmm....what is the brand of dust you used? I live in little 'ole Idaho...and am not going to Seattle anytime soon. :)

Morgan said...

Oh, the gold luster stuff and edible gold paint are really cool! I'd like to pick some of that up to try on cookies someday!

Candy and Cake Sugar Designs said...

Very cute!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Home Cake on Roosevelt is the store :)
CK products makes the luster dust. It comes in many different colors. They had a bronze dust which would be great for penny cookies.

Tiffanee said...

Those are so clever and darling!! Almost too cute to eat...notice I said "almost". Love it!!

tricityty said...

WOW!!! Great job! Wish I was as creative as you! My son would love these!!

Bloggie McBlogger said...

OMGosh! These are sooo cute!
My son's K class has been talking about the Olympics a lot, and he's been coming home and asking to watch them. (It's ashame that they come on after his bedtime.)
I think that I might have to make a batch of these for his class.

Dauna said...

WOW~ I love these! Except that I am Canadian, so I'd adjust my message. I will be using this for the next major world sporting event (not sure I can wait for the next olympics in 2012)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs