Thursday, May 21, 2009

buttercup bag and how to attach magnetic purse snaps


A couple of months ago I came across a free pattern for this adorable purse: The Buttercup Bag from Made By Rae. Isn't it scrumptious? Can you believe it's made from a fat quarter? Well, two to be precise: one fat quarter for the outside and one for the lining. I made up a couple for birthday gifts. They were pretty quick and super easy. Rae's instructions are clear and include pictures for the visual learners like me.


I *loved* the fabric that Rae used, and I was shocked to find out she found it at JoAnn in the Fashion Fabrics section. My JoAnn only had it in black and white, but I thought it was still a good choice. It has a nice weight and texture.


I embellished this bag with a fabric flower I made using this tutorial from Wise Craft. I just used the leftover fabric from the lining and a tiny swatch of something in my stash for the covered-button center. I attached a pin to the back so it could be removed if the recipient didn't like it. It was a super-quick finishing touch.


This one was made with Amy Butler's August Fields home decor line. The print is part of the Wild Bouquet group, and the lining is the Jade from the Solids group.


You might notice there is a small magnetic snap that keeps the bag closed. If you've never attached one before, you might be surprised that there are absolutely no instructions on the packaging. Believe me, I looked at several brands, and no one seems to recognize that some of us out here are sewing idiots! I eventually figured it out, but we thought we should post a quick tutorial just in case you decide to try this pattern. We don't want anyone out there feeling stupid for no reason.

How to Attach Magnetic Purse Snaps

1. Iron on your interfacing in the appropriate spot, according to your pattern. For the Buttercup bag, it goes on the wrong side of the lining, about 1/2" from the top.


2. Place one of the thin, flat pieces where you want the first half of your snap to be.


3. Use a pencil to mark the openings in the piece. This is where you'll insert the prongs of the snap.


4. Using a seam ripper or sharp scissors, make a 1/8" cut in the top and bottom markings.


5. This is optional, but a good idea. Use a small amount of Fray Check where you cut the fabric to keep the hole from getting bigger with use.


6. Push the prongs of one of the snap sides through from the right side of the fabric.


7. Place one of the thin pieces over the prongs on the wrong side of the fabric.



8. Bend the prongs down toward the middle using your fingers. Repeat for opposite side of snap on other side of lining. Be sure to match them up!


Stacy decided to make a bunch of these bags to have on hand as gifts. Here are a few of her cute creations. Don't you love the little felt flower she made for the pink one?


So now that you're all dying to make one, I have some really good news. Made By Rae spent hours creating this pattern offers it for free (so sweet!). However, remember that it is copyrighted, so you are only allowed to make them for personal use (or gifts), but not to sell. (Here's the good news.) She has made the pattern available for sale with a limited commercial license, meaning you can pay her $10 for the pattern and then hand make as many of these babies as you want to sell at craft fairs, in your Etsy store, to your friends, whatever. (More details here.) As a special bonus, if you purchase the licensed pattern you'll also get the pattern for a BIGGER version of this purse! The original is pretty itty bitty (perfect for a night out or if you don't have kids in tow), but she's enlarged it so you can really use it every day. So if you love this pattern and want make one for yourself or for a gift, you can dowload the free version. But if you want to make a gazillion of them and sell them, or just want to thank Rae for being such a sweetie, go to her shop and purchase the pattern. Either way, we think you should leave her a comment and tell her how amazing she is! Thanks, Rae!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
24 Comments

24 Responses to “buttercup bag and how to attach magnetic purse snaps”

Pink Princess said...

OH SO CUTE!!!!!

Brianne said...

Those all turned out so cute! I just made one for my sister, I enlarged the pattern 130%. Another tip for putting in magnetic snaps is to make little button holes where you drew the lines for the prongs.

Sue said...

Thanks for that tutorial! I had bought some of the snaps from a friend a while back but have not used them and can't remember how to attach them so this is really appreciated!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Dang you creative people. Hear my anger? That is because I am jealous. Hmph.

{amy k.} said...

Such cute bags- and thanks for the info on the magnet!

Sharlene said...

Okay but for those of us who aren't all that inclined in the sewing dept, where can we buy these adorable purses?

kristib said...

Love these bags, and I, like you, was so surprised that there were no instructions with the magnetic purse snaps! Thanks for the tut!

monica said...

i really appreciate the tutorial...i'm making a bag and need this! i couldn't believe there are no instructions either. very timely!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Your buttercup is GORGEOUS! Thanks so much for the snap how-to, I'll be linking.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I have been going nuts trying to figure out to put magnetic snaps in my purses. Thanks for the perfect tutorial. Do you find that the interfacing is enough reinforcement? Do they ever pull out? I make leather bags and wondered if the magnetic snaps would hold. Any thoughts?

Sheri said...

I just made on of Rae's bags and I have never used a pattern before. http://sherific.blogspot.com/2009/05/hey-hey-lookie.html

Unknown said...

thanks for the tute. am definitely saving this post.

Em said...

Thanks for the snap tutorial. I've been wanting to use these on a few projects for a while, but couldn't figure out how the heck to stick them on! The bags are to die for, by the way.

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I made this bag last week, and love it! I would use heavyweight interfacing with my fat quarter next time, however, or home decor weight fabric. Because there WILL be a next time. And, after reading your tutorial on snaps, I realized I have been doing it wrong for a looooooong time now. Thanks!

Carla G. said...

I love these bags and I can't believe they only need 2 fat quarters...how affordable! Great job with the magnet tutorial!

amy smart said...

Thanks so much for posting this explanation. When I made my bag I was a little intimidated by the snap, so I just used a button and loop. Now, I just might try it out!

Also SO excited about the larger pattern size and selling rights! I'm off!

Little O Studio said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I am making a different bag pattern but all it says is to 'attach the magnetic snaps' and I had no idea how to do it.

Photos of the bag will be posted at www.littleostudio.blogspot.com

Crystelle Boutique said...

Nice tutorial! Really easy to understand!! Good job!!!

snugglepugs said...

Thank you so much for teaching me how to attach a magnetic purse snap. I just finished cutting my fabric and now I am ready to start sewing. Thank you again!!

Holly said...

Thank you so much for the tute on attaching the magnetic snap! That was the only thing standing between me and finishing the bag I was making! It worked out perfect :)

Adorable bags in this post, by the way! I just love the fabrics!

erinmalia said...

this was exactly what i needed given i was about to give up on doing the magnetic clasps. thanks! and i'm with you: way to make us feel like sewing dummies, clasp makers!

TaraStar said...

Love this website!!! I just got a sewing machine and I am dying to make bags...love yours!! Thanks for sharing and wish me luck!!!

AnJayla said...

I found her pattern a week ago and am just about to put the snap on! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I read somewhere that the magnetic snaps are cheaper at the Arts and Crafts section of JoAnn's than in the sewing section. They were right! LOL Thanks again.

Keri Logan said...

Thanks so much! I already made 1 Buttercup Bag and thought that the snap didn't seem right.When I google attaching a snap I found this, which was surprisingly for the Buttercup Bag. I expect the next 3 to come out even better.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs