Wednesday, November 19, 2008

leaf silverware holder tutorial and other fun fall stuff

a
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays of the year. And I'll admit it's mostly because of the food. But also the family. I'm going to miss hanging out and eating my parent's amazing Thanksgiving feast this year. Luckily, Jessica's little family is in the same boat, so we're going to be each others' family this year. I am so thankful for good friends!

In honor of the big day, (or really any fall day), we made this simple silverware holder for a fun fall table decoration in about 15 minutes.

Leaf Silverware Holder Tutorial

What you'll need:

*Large leaf to trace
*Pencil or pen
*Piece of paper
*Felt
*Scissors
*Coordinating embroidery floss and needle

1. Trace your leaf onto a piece of paper and cut out. This is your pattern. Cut out two of your pattern from the felt.

2. Stitch veins in the leaf with the embroidery floss and needle.

3. If you're feeling ambitious (we weren't), stitch the leaves together around the edges, leaving an opening at the top for the silverware. If not, glue them together with craft glue or Liquid Stitch like we did.

4. Now make them for every holiday! Think stars or trees for Christmas, hearts for Valentine's, shamrocks for St. Patrick's, decorated eggs for Easter--you get the idea.

With all the craft fair craftiness going on, we haven't had a lot of time to come up with other Thanksgiving ideas, but here are a few fun ideas we've come across.


These candles and pumpkins are covered in lentils! I love the earthy feel. Check out DIY Network's tutorial.

These homespun pumpkins are made from rope and yarn. Martha gives you instructions to make your own.


I also liked these simple napkin ties using acorns from your yard. Martha does it again. And it's easy!

And last but not least, our crafty friend Deborah has an adorable turkey she puts out every year using a pumpkin from her garden. If you're handy with woodworking tools, these would be really easy to make. Each piece is painted and has a nail protruding from the bottom so you can simply stick it in your pumpkin. Instant turkey! I wish cooking one was that easy.


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
7 Comments

7 Responses to “leaf silverware holder tutorial and other fun fall stuff”

Natalia said...

I want to try all of these...especially the leaf silverware holder & candles!

sassy stephanie said...

Wow. These are all so great. I especially love the rope pumpkins.

Thanks for sharing in my SITS day with me!

the undomesticated wife said...

Great ideas! The leaves are so cute...you could also use them as place mats (if you made them on a larger scale) or hot pads for casserole dishes!

BreeAnn said...

I love the candles!

~Kimberly said...

Oh my...there are not enough hours in the day to try all these! I love this blog! If only I didn't have kids to watch after, I'd be a hermit in my own home crafting away with all these fantastic ideas!

Alena Jo said...

I love all of these fun and festive fall ideas! I think you could even make those candle for Christmas with Christmas color candles and glitter or cloves, etc. Oooh... the creative juices are flowing!! I can't wait to try these! Thanks for all the ideas!

Tricia, CZT said...

Love your website! When I first saw the pic of the pumpkins and candles decorated with lentile, I thought "i have to be out of my mind to glue lentils onto a candle one-by-one!"

Then I read the instructions on the DIY site. (Silly me!!!!!)

Great tutorials!

I notice the advertisement on the left side of your page is for Warwick gas prices, restaurants and JoAnns fabric. You live in Warwick??? Me, too!

Tricia

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs