Saturday, August 16, 2008

create your own custom banner


It seems like summer is the height of birthday season and baby showers, so we loved this simple fabric banner that can be used over and over again. Stacy created her own template for the flags, and found the cute font in a book by Nancy Halvorsen called Art To Heart - Winsome Baby. It's such a simple project that you could create a fun banner for any theme. You could even put a different phrase on the back to make it a two-in-one banner. Need some ideas? How about Congratulations, Welcome Baby, It's a Boy/Girl, Happy Birthday. . okay, so you can see why Stacy just chose "Celebrate." It works for all of the above. Brilliant!

Here are Stacy's simple instructions:

The dimensions of my triangle are 10 x 10 x 8.5. You'll need two pieces of fabric for every letter if you want them to be two-sided. (If you don’t care, then you only need one.) Cut two for each letter, plus two for each end of the word, and additional for any spaces between words. Put the triangles right-side together and sew the two long sides, leaving the top open, then turn right-side out and iron.

I traced my letters and used Steam-A-Seam to create fusible appliqué letters, ironed them in place on the flags, then zigzag stitched around them so they would really stay on there.

Then I lined them up and zigzag sewed them between the bias tape.

Super easy, super cute. Now that's something to celebrate.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
3 Comments

3 Responses to “create your own custom banner”

Carrie said...

Excellent!! I'm making one of these for my baby's first bday and was just going to go to it on my own. Now I don't have to! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I love the colors you've chosen.

Jode said...

I can't wait to make a Halloween banner for our annual halloween party! I think it will say: Monsters Welcome!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs