Wednesday, December 18, 2013

crochet chain necklace {free pattern}


It's the middle of December already and I barely have time to breathe let alone create handmade gifts for the people on my list. But this is one crocheted item that you can crank out in no time at all: The Crochet Chain Necklace. Not only that, it is absolutely the EASIEST crocheted item you will ever make. It is literally the most beginner pattern you can find (if you can really call it a pattern). In fact, this is an awesome way to practice making crochet chains before you start learning real stitches.

Supplies:

*2 strands of category 4 (medium/worsted) yarn held together, OR 1 strand category 6 (bulky) yarn (1-2 skeins, depending on desired length)
*Size K (6.50 mm) crochet hook
*Optional: button, yarn needle

If you're using Category 4 yarn, you need either to get 2 skeins of yarn, or divide your skein into two balls. This makes it easier to work while holding two strands of yarn together.

So here's the "pattern"--you're going to laugh when you read it.

Crochet Chain Necklace Pattern


Row 1: Chain until all your yarn is gone. Sl st into 1st ch.  Fasten off.

Ha! That's seriously all it is. Of course you can use more or less yarn, depending on how long you want it. For a lighter or shorter necklace, you may not use the whole skein. For a thicker more scarf-like necklace, you may want to use the whole skein plus a little more. Experiment a little. After all my yarn is gone, I slip stitch to my first chain and fasten off, then fold the long ring in half, in half again, in half again, etc. until it is the right size for a necklace. Play around with it until you find what you like best.

At this point you can either just wear it as is, like this more summery crochet necklace. . .


Or you can add a little button tab to add a little interest. This also keeps the lengths of chain together so they don't get unwieldy or tied up in a knot.


Button Tab Pattern


Stitch explanation: sl in flo = slip stitch in front loops only. This means you work the sl st in only the loop that is closest to you instead of both loops. 
Ch 16.

Row 1: Sl st in flo of 1st ch from hook and in each ch across.

Rows 2 - 5: (Ch 1, turn. Work sl st in flo of each sl st across) repeated 4 times. Fasten off, leaving a 10" tail for sewing. Wrap tab around necklace strands and stitch ends together with a yarn needle. Sew on a button in the middle of the tab if desired.

So easy it's embarrassing, right? Another last minute gift you could whip up is my newest pattern, The Lovesome Headband, now available in my Etsy and Ravelry shops.



It's a bow headband/earwarmer that uses a beautiful crochet stitch that looks like knit.



The pattern includes SIX sizes from Newborn to Adult, plus two bow styles (a full bow and a "faux" bow) and two widths for each size, so you can customize it to your style.






   

I have been making these like crazy, and I love that they are so simple that I can do it while I watch something on Netflix with my family.



This would make a great last-minute gift for the little sweeties in your life!


And I still have my Buy-Three-Get-One-Free pattern sale going on--just add four patterns to your cart in my Etsy and Ravelry shops use the code ONEFREE to a free pattern!











share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
4 Comments

4 Responses to “crochet chain necklace {free pattern}”

Three Birds Inspired said...

I sew every morning from about 3:30 until 6am when I get ready for work. At night I crochet because being tired and sewing machine needles are not a good combination! This looks like something I could easily do while watching tv. I am going to start a chain tonight!
I have been making a bunch of headbands and your ribbon pattern is darling!

Adapted Kinetics said...

I love this...so easy. The only problem I'm having is understanding the round part that goes with the button? Could you possibly explain it a different way. Maybe I just need to read it a few more times

burke said...

I had a difficult time understanding the band part also. I re-read it several time and still am not sure how to do it....

Unknown said...

going to try this tonight love how it drapes down the front

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs