Thursday, August 22, 2013

back-to-school {teacher gift ideas}







It's back to school for us this week, and in two days of the big kids being gone all day, I've already completed three projects that have been sitting on the back-burner while we lived it up this summer! That must be some kind of record. These are my monkeys on the first day of school. . .





When we lived in other states, the schools gave us a long list of supplies each child would need to bring to class. I remember choking when I saw my oldest's Kindergarten supply list--I couldn't believe how much stuff they were asking parents to contribute. But when I figured out that teachers would be footing the bill themselves for things like hand sanitizer and glue sticks for their classes, I gladly headed to the Target back-to-school aisle and stocked up (although I never really need an excuse to peruse that aisle). 

So when Target's back-to-school display made it's appearance this summer, I scoured our new school's Web site for the supply lists for my kids and found...nothing. I was seriously disappointed not to get to shop the school supply sales! It turns out each child is only asked to contribute one item for their class. I usually do some sort of back-to-school gift for my kids teachers to let them know upfront that we appreciate them, so I headed to Target and had my back-to-school shopping fun, without a list. Here's how I put my back-to-school teacher appreciation gift together, and a list of school supplies your teacher may like to receive.

Back-To-School Teacher Appreciation Gift Ideas

First I purchased items I knew teachers needed but probably didn't receive from the school or district for their classes.  


I wrapped each item with a little ribbon, tulle, or baker's twine to make it feel a little more special.


I placed all the items in a reusable shopping bag (this one is from JoAnn) and tied it up with a messy scrap bow and simple card.


I thought it looked pretty adorable. Apparently it was too adorable for my second grader--he refused to carry it on the bus.


School Supply List Suggestions

Here is a list of school supplies most teachers would be happy to have for their classrooms this year (if you don't already have a lengthy list to work from):

No. 2 pencils, sharpened (many schools prefer Ticonderoga brand)
Pencil cap erasers
Large pink erasers
Glue sticks
Dry-erase markers
Hand sanitizer
Antibacterial wipes or baby wipes
Paper towels
Tissues
Ziploc bags (gallon or quart sizes)
Crayons
Colored pencils
Watercolor paint sets
Thick markers (like Crayola) 
Highlighters
Kids scissors
Composition books
Folders with side pockets
Wide-rule lined paper
Spiral notebooks
Ream of white copy paper
White school glue (like Elmer's)
Rulers
Pencil boxes
Protractors Prizes for rewards (check the party store or dollar store for inexpensive prizes)
Red, blue, and black felt markers

I'm sure there are others things your teacher might appreciate--check with your school to see if there are other needs. Leave us a comment if you have more to add to the list!



share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
3 Comments

3 Responses to “back-to-school {teacher gift ideas}”

Erin said...

What a wonderful idea. Our school district supply lists were crazily long this year. I think I will put together these during the fair break! Thank you for the idea.

Meghan said...

What a great idea...

girlsmama said...

Fabulous idea! I'd add sharpies and post it notes.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs