Monday, December 12, 2011

burlap circle wreath & paper covered stick star {tutorial}

I FINALLY got my wreath for my front door up! It was looking way too bare. I made it with the leftover burlap from my table runner (plus a little more), and added a super simple paper-covered stick star. My homemade holiday decor is just about done! This wreath didn't take me that long, I just took my time getting it done (amidst all the other holiday decorating, baking, etc.). But I love how it turned out! (Plus I think I'll use the wreath for Valentine's day, too--just hang a heart on the front instead!) Here's the how to for both pieces. . .


Burlap Christmas Wreath Tutorial
Supplies for wreath:
*Foam wreath form (mine said it was 12", but really it's about 15" with the width)
*1.5 to 3 yards red burlap (my friend made a smaller 12" wreath with 1.5 yards, but I needed almost 3 yards to cover mine!)
*Circle die cut OR scissors and drinking glass
*Straight pins or hot glue gun
*Ribbon or fabric strip for hanging

1. Cut your burlap into 3" circles. I used my Sizzix Big Shot and a 3" circle die cut. You could also trace a drinking glass and cut by hand with scissors. 

2. Fold each circle in half, then in half again. Pin or hot glue to wreath. Tip: If you're using flat head pins (which are waaay cheaper), try to insert pin into a strand of the burlap instead of between holes--it will help it stay in place!
 

Continue pinning, turning petals in different direction to make it fuller. Be sure to cover the inside and outside of wreath as well. Leave the back bare.


When it's full, you're done! Hang with a piece of ribbon or fabric (like I did).

If you want to add a little kick, add a simple stick star to your wreath. Here's how:

Paper Covered Stick Star Tutorial

Supples:
*Dry sticks from your yard or the local park
*Sheet music or other paper
*Paper cutter
*Hot glue gun
*Jute, twine, yarn, or string to match
*Berries and greenery (optional)

1. I originally painted my sticks white, but then I decided I wanted to use sheet music (to go with the theme of the rest of my decor). You decide what works best for your home. If you're using paper, cut it into approx. 1" strips with a paper cutter. 
2. Starting at one end, begin wrapping the strips around each stick, hot gluing here and there along the way. Add strips until entire stick is covered.

If you run into bumps, just press the paper over the bump and make a hole in it. It really doesn't have to be perfect!

3. When all your sticks are covered, arrange them in a star shape, slightly overlapping sticks. Hot glue sticks together at intersecting points. 

4. Tie each of the 5 points together with a piece of jute, yarn, or string to give it a little more stability (plus it's cuter!)
 

5. Tie a bunch of greenery (I cut mine from a bush in my yard) and berries (I used fake because the berries in my yard are purple!) to the top point of the star.

Hang over the top of your wreath, or alone if you want! That's it!


Merry Christmas!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
10 Comments

10 Responses to “burlap circle wreath & paper covered stick star {tutorial}”

Toby and Abbie said...

Your wreath is so cute. I love it! I am definately going to make one.

Unknown said...

I was thinking of doing a square fabric wreath with some wire but this is soooooo easy, and looks a lot fuller and uses less fabric. Defenetively my next christmas project! Thanks for sharing.

Shelley said...

Very cute! Is is easy to find colored burlap? Did you just buy it at your fabric store? How expensive is it per yard? Thanks for your help!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Shelley--the colored burlap is easy to find! I've seen it at JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, and Walmart! It usually comes in a couple of shades of tan, red, and green. It's only about $3-$4 a yard, but use a 40% off coupon! ;)

Unknown said...

This is so gorgeous! Full of festive cheer. Thank you for sharing.

NurseBrandy said...

This is gorgeous! I'm curious about how long it took to make? Such a great idea!

Julie said...

Cute! Just wondering how or what you did to hang the fabric hanger on. Thanks!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Brandy, I worked on it over a couple of days, but really I think if I had just done it one sitting it would have taken me less than 2 hours. Unless you are cutting your circles by hand. :)

Julie, to hang the wreath, I used duct tape to tape the fabric hanger to the top of the door! Doesn't get easier than that!

Buckeye Mom said...

I love this idea and I think I will try it in February with a heart shaped wreath form and red burlap!!!

Unknown said...

I love how this wreath is simple to make, but looks so classy and sophisticated. What an eye catching wreath :-)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs