Tuesday, October 27, 2009

dusting off the crochet hooks

Our crafting is sometimes influenced by the seasons. Fall is here so we've been in the mood to crochet and make quilts. We've been busy working on some cute projects. One of these projects are these adorable children's slippers. We found the pattern on Etsy in the Knot Sew Cute store and whipped up a pair. They were easy to make and super warm. We added a few dots of fabric paint on the bottom to prevent slipping on the hardwood floor.


Next, we tackled the cute monkey hat. We found this great pattern on Etsy and we've been whipping a few of these too.


Our church has been working on handmade items to send with some church members to Central America. One thing they asked for was crocheted dishcloths. Usually humanitarian groups give you very specific guidelines for handmade contributions, but this group was a little less formal and said we could use any pattern and color of yarn we wanted. The only guideline was that we use 100% cotton yarn, like Sugar n' Cream.

We've made several dishcloths so far and they've been so much fun! Dishcloths are a quick and easy project, and the best part is they give you the chance to practice lots of different crochet stitches. For example:

This is the textured dishcloth from CrochetMe, which helps you practice crocheting in back loops or front loops only.


This one uses the seed stitch. I found the pattern at Bron's Fiber Stuff. I was so exicted about the way the variegated yarn made this cool pattern! You never know what kind of pattern variegated yarn is going to make.


I can't find the pattern I used for this pretty one! I loved it because the stitches formed the pretty edging without having to go around the cloth at the end. If I find the pattern I'll post a link later.



Here's a pretty one from Call Her Blessed. I wonder if I did something wrong because mine is more lacy than hers. Oh well--I still like it! I added a little scalloped border by crocheting three dc's in every other stitch around the edge.



And this one is my particular favorite. It's the basket weave stitch. My pattern didn't have an explanation of a couple of the stitches, so I was doing it from memory and it was a little tricky to figure out. Once I remembered how to do it it was easy! Here's a pattern that explains the fpdc and bpdc stitches.



If you're looking for different patterns, try searching "crochet dishcloth patterns". You'll find thousands of them. I found many of my favorite patterns on Tip Nut's round up. A lot of them were more my style than the other stuff I was finding.

Do you also save some crafting for particular seasons? If so, what are you working on now?

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
21 Comments

21 Responses to “dusting off the crochet hooks”

Unknown said...

lots of pretties. I love that little baby and hat!

katevet said...

the baby hat is adorable! the baby even more :)

Yesterday's Tomorrow said...

wow! you really went to town. Everything looks great! :D
I've been knitting up a storm. Finished my first *PAIR* of socks - then started working on mittens. I think I really don't like things that need a matching one ;)
"what do you mean they don't match" said this mom ;) "does it really matter? as long as they keep your hands warm!"

The Cornett Family said...

beautiful! I love them! I'm an avid crocheter myself, and have been crocheting a lot this fall too for holiday craft shows! That, and I always seem to get into a re-decorating mode in the fall. I'm working on re-doing my kids' rooms right now.

Devin & Nikki Choules said...

The link to the slippers will not work! Can you please post it again?

Cassie said...

I've been crocheting little flowers with the Sugars 'n Cream yarn. They make excellent cotton swabs for toner on your face and they exfoliate at the same time! Thanks for these ideas as well ;D

Katie Lewis said...

Your crocheted projects are wonderful! I know how to crochet (just a few basic stitches) and I love to do it, but I have to admit that I have no idea how to read the patterns. I really wish I knew how. It would open me up to a lot more projects. And speaking of projects relating to the seasons... I decided I wanted to try making a gingerbread house for Christmas this year out of real gingerbread. We had always just used graham crackers before. But I didn't want Christmas to be my first try in case something went wrong, so I decided I'd try making a Halloween gingerbread house to practice on. So far things are going well. I've finished the walls and the candy windows, but I haven't put it together yet. Let's just say I've already learned a thing or two. Ha! But I think it'll turn out okay. We'll see.

Unknown said...

Can you post the pattern or the seller for the slippers? The link doesn't work. That hat is adorable!

Teresa aka Tess said...

I too have found I seldom crochet in the summer time. I love that mokey hat, so cute. The dishcloths are all so pretty. I've only ever used a very simple basic stitch to make one. Thanks for all of the links.

Unknown said...

I need to learn how to crochet. Please show me in December!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I just fixed the link. Let me know if it doesn't work again. Thanks!

Daiquiri said...

You made it! I'm glad you like it :-) I must just use a smaller hook or a sightly tighter stitch? I like the edge you put on it.

Daiquiri said...

loving your site...I'm off to subscribe!

Emily Marie said...

Oh this is great, I can't wait to try that hat. And I'm glad for the different washcloth patterns, I just signed up to do a whole bunch of washclothes for the same humanitarian aid project, so it's nice to have these links to them all in one place. Thanks!

Abbie said...

I've been playing with crocheting and sewing lately, but don't know if it's fall or the fact that I'm finally unpacked from moving this summer!

sallgood said...

That hat (and the hat wearer) are adorable!

and love the dish cloths too!! I really need more time so I can learn how to crochet!!

SewCraftyMeg said...

Hey! I just dusted off my crochet hooks too... must be the fall weather! Thank you for sharing all the links. Been thinking about making some slippers and wash cloths for the face. Your photos are great. Love the monkey hat... hmmmm I do have a grandbaby! :)

Kristina at The Purple Pea said...

Aww, what a adorable little monkey in the monkey hat!

I have tried numerous time to crochet and I just can't hang. I don't think I have enough patience. Your projects look great!

Emilia Osorio said...

Love the baby hat!!!!

Sara said...

I have the pattern for the dishcloth that you lost the pattern to. I got it off of crochetmore.com, but I don't know the link to the pattern so here it is! Hook size G.
Row 1: Ch 40, (dc, ch2, sc) in 4th ch from hook. * sk next 3 chs, (2dc, ch 2, sc) in next ch. Rep from * across. Ch2, turn.
Rows 2-17: (dc, ch 2, sc) in next ch 2 sp. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in each rem ch 2 sp. Ch 2, turn.
Row 18: (dc, ch 2, sc) in next ch 2 sp. (2 dc, ch 2, sc) in each rem ch 2 sp.
Fasten off. Weave in ends.

Debbie B said...

I am a problem with making dishcloths! ha ha! Do you happen to have the link to the one with the scalloped edge? I love that. Thanks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs