Friday, October 2, 2009

all things apple

I just picked up my first fall order of apples last week and it didn't take me long to jump right in on the canning and baking. I love fall...and as soon as I start canning apples it really begins to feel like fall! Everyone in our family loves snacking on apples, but we definitely like our baked apple goods as well. I thought I would share some of these favorite recipes with you.



The first thing I made was some canned apple pie filling. I used the recipe found here. You can't beat fresh apple pie all year round. It makes my house smell so yummy and festive. And these make great gifts for friends and neighbors.



Next up was a delicious recipe I got a few years ago from my mother-in-law. It seems like it is the first dessert that has to be made every time we get apples each year.

Autumn Apple-Chocolate Cake
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 T. cocoa
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup soft butter or margarine
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
2 cups grated apples
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan. In medium bowl mix together all dry ingredients. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time and beat for one minute each. Add water and blend well. Gradually add flour mixture and beat until fluffy. Fold in nuts, apples, chocolate chips and vanilla. Spoon into pan. Bake about 1 hour. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.



I also found this recipe for Easy French Apple Dessert Squares on the eat better america site. They look delicious and you can't beat the fact that they are a bit more healthy too. I will definitely be adding this to my recipe collection.

Lastly, I whipped up a free-form apple tart. I had never tried it before, but it sure was spectacular.

Free-Form Harvest Apple Tart
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, divided
1 (4 serving) package lemon gelatin, divided
2 medium apples, unpeeled cored and sliced, and thinly sliced
1 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Place flour, butter, and 1/2 of cream cheese in food processor. Cover and process using pulsing action until mixture is well blended and almost forms a ball. Shape dough into a ball and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour until chilled. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out pastry to a 14 x 8 inch rectangle. Place on a parchment covered baking sheet. Set aside. Mix remaining cream cheese and 1/2 of dry gelatin mix until well blended. Spread onto pastry to within 2 inches of edges. Toss apples with remaining gelatin mix, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Spoon evenly over cream cheese filling. Fold edge of pastry over apples toward center of tart. Apples in center will remain exposed. Sprinkle top with almonds. Bake in lower 1/3 of oven 35 minutes or until crust is golden and apples are tender. Cool. Store leftovers in fridge.



Now that you have seen all these delicious apple recipes, I am sure your mouth is watering for some. So go pick up some apples and get started. Enjoy your apple season!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
12 Comments

12 Responses to “all things apple”

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

Yum! I wish I had an apple tree.

slmpetersen said...

Wow! Talk about wanting to make a run for the kitchen to start cooking. The apple cake with chocolates sounds do delicious!

cherry said...

YUMMMMMMMMMM! Brilliant blog over here! cherry

Staci @ Designing and Motherhood said...

Yummy stuff. Check out my blog sometime. I made some yummy pineapple zuchinni bread. Apples are next week. Staci

Thoris Designs said...

oh dear. looks like i'm going to be reviewing some more of your recipes... shopping lists will be made. apples will be baked. yummy yummy!

bedelia said...

looks delish! I've been wanting to make some pie fillings. However, it recommends using Clear Jel. Do you use this? Where did you get it? I'm too impatient for ordering online and wondered if you had tips on finding it locally.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

You do have to get clear jel online. I ordered some on amazon and it came in 3 days. Very quick turnaround. I know allrecipes.com does have an apple pie filling recipe that uses cornstarch instead of clear jel if you want to try that one. I have just heard that clear jel is safer for canning.

Cat J B said...

Ooh, I like the look of the free form apple tart! I can get lovely apples at the local farmers market, I'll have to try this tart :)

Julie Willis said...

Quick Question.

Did you have any trouble with overflow when you were canning your apple pie filling? I made some months ago and I left 1/2 inch head room. Maybe I should be leaving more?? Any suggestions?

krisz said...

I got same apples.And they weren´t really sweet.So i tried your chocolate-apple cake recepie.It is sooo delicious!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

I did not have any problems with overflow and I left 1/2 inch headspace as well. The only other thing I could suggest is to make sure you packed your apples very tightly so they don't float to the top and cause some liquid to overflow. You can also try looking at pickyourown.org because they have many canning tips and answers to common problems.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Those look delicious! I would SO love to be able to get apples from somewhere other than the grocery store!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs