Thursday, September 17, 2009

walk the dog bag

Walking the dog can sometimes be a real chore, especially when you find yourself playing "pooper scooper." It's a pain to carry plastic bags, but you love your dog and don't want to pay fines, so what else can you do? With this cute and useful accessory you can now walk your puppy and carry your bags in style! Here is a simple tutorial for a discreet plastic bag holder that can be attached to your leash.

Walk the Dog Baggie Holder Tutorial (seriously, what else would you call it?)

Supplies:
*Scrap of fabric 5 inches by 7 inches
*Sewing machine, thread
*3 inch piece of thin elastic
*3 .5 inches of Velcro
*Iron

Let's get started!

1. Cut your fabric to 5 inches by 7 inches.


2. Fold the top (7 inch side) down twice and press with an iron.


3. Place your fabric and piece of elastic on your machine. I made sure that my needle was in the down position already through the fabric and elastic before I started.


4. Pulling your elastic as tight as you can to make sure it runs the whole length of the top side, sew down the length of the fabric. I used a zig-zag stitch here, but you can use whatever stitch you think is best as long as it catches both the fabric and elastic.


Don't worry if your elastic stretches past the edge of the fabric. You can trim that off later.


5. Once your elastic is sewn to the top side of the fabric you can turn the piece sideways and get ready to sew the side seams. Warning: this part is tricky and may take a bit of work. Fold your fabric right sides together. Be sure that you place your piece of Velcro in. The Velcro should be inside. Very carefully sew down the side of your fabric making sure the elastic matches up and your Velcro is sewn in.


When you are done it should look like this.


6. Now, take your fabric and place it like this so the side seam is now in the middle.


7. Sew the bottom seam and trim the corners when you are done.


8. Turn your bag inside out and that is it. Fill it with bags and attach it to your leash!

So, no more of this:


You will be the most stylish person at the doggie park with this:

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
21 Comments

21 Responses to “walk the dog bag”

jamie said...

I love this! And I don't even have a dog!
This will make a great little gift for someone I know.

Tiff said...

Thank you for including this tutorial for dog owners! I'd love to see more about dogs if you have anything to share!

Julie said...

Oh that is too SMART! I'll definately be making one of those!
Cheers,
Julie

Purple Quilter Queen said...

It's cute stuff like this that makes me wish I had a dog again. That is so cute!! You should put that on etsy! There are tons of pet owners that would love that. Or try selling to local pet stores.

Bev @ The 3 Clutters said...

Thank you for this tutoial!! As Mommy to 3 doggies (and we love to camp) this will be great!

Kelly O. said...

so the question is how do you conceal the...um...well, excriment, once you've collected it?
yes I'm seriously pondering this because it's embarassing to carry a bag of poop but making a "holder" seems--um--yucky. :P

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Kelly,

This is for holding your bags pre-doody. Once the bag is full, I would not recommend putting it back in the holder. I don't have a good solution for that problem :)Maybe use really cute plastic bags? Anyone else have a good way they do it?

Outofmymind said...

To make a doody drop off I would either find a garbage of someones or make another bag made from the washable plasticy material that I can't think of right now.

Outofmymind said...

Oh yeah,I forgot to say how much I love the bag too. Sorry, my brain is still asleep even tho it's afternoon right now. Thanx for sharing your talent.

Teresa aka Tess said...

Cute baggie holder. I don't have a dog but love the bag idea and the tutorial made it so simple.

an encourager said...

That is such a good disguise for you-know-what! thanks!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I keep meaning to make one of these. I'm tired of stuffing the bags into my back pocket and forgetting about them, only to find them in the wash. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Audrey said...

I know EXACTLY what my mother-in-law will be getting from me for her upcoming birthday! This is great!

Lainey-Paney said...

....the candy dentures. Do you KNOW how much fun you can have giving these out for Halloween!?

As a parent---how HILARIOUS would it be to find those in my kid's candy bag. OMG, I'm cracking up just thinking about that!

Tanya said...

I can't wait to make these for both my dogs! Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! I have 3 dogs so this is on my "to make" list. Thanks so much!
Amy

PuppyLovePrincess said...

love this...! i've posted about it on my blog (w/ credits and link, of course.) thanks for sharing your creativity :) cutecutecute!

Anonymous said...

Did any one else have trouble sewing the stretched elastic? I love the idea, we all need one of these, but I am having trouble with the execution. I am using 1/4 inch braided elastic. Is there a better one??? HELP!!!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Your elastic may be too thick. I used a very flat, super stretchy elastic. I don't know the exact dimensions since I just pulled it out of my stash. It was very thin. I did hear from one reader that the zig zag was too hard to do so she just sewed a straight lined down the middle of the elastic and it worked just fine.

katevet said...

Thank you for a great idea! Just made my dog a bag-a-poo and it came out really cool!

michele said...

thanks so much for the tutorial! i just whipped up a couple for myself and a friend. the only modification i made is to make a channel to feed the elastic through at the top so it wasn't exposed (and this avoids the problem of having to sew through the length of the elastic, as you just sew it to the very ends).

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs