These simple award ribbons are fun and easy to personalize yourself. Next time you host a contest or a party, make a few of these. They're also great rewards for kids who should always get lots of recognition and praise!
Award Ribbon Tutorial
*Hot Glue Gun
*Circles and other cut outs
*Fray Check or a match
*Other Embellishments (optional)
1. Start by folding your crepe streamer. Fold one way and then make your next fold going in the opposite direction. You want it to fold up like an accordion.
Your folds should look like this.
2. Stop periodically and spread ends of accordion to meet and form a circle. Keep folding until you are happy with how your circle will look.
3. Get your glue gun ready and your base circle. I used my die cut machine to cut this circle. Not necessary. You can hand cut it or cut any other shape. This part won't show from the front so doesn't have to be perfect. Put a nice outline of hot glue on your shape and then gently place your crepe streamer circle down on the hot glue. Take care not to burn your fingers.
4. Next place a dab of hot glue in the center of your crepe circle. Glue your coordinating paper or shape here. This is where you can get really creative. I just did a simple circle in cardstock. I think next time I will pull out some really fancy buttons and jewelry pieces for my centers. Silk flowers or felt shapes and stickers would also be great alternatives. You can also print or use stickers to write something like "1st Place" or "Great Job!" in the center.
5. Cut your ribbon to your desired length in proportion to your circle. Apply Fray Check to the ends to prevent fraying. If you don't have Fray Check, you can just singe your edges with a match.
6. Hot glue your ribbon to the back of the circle with your crepe and embellishments. If you want to cover up the back, cut a second shape to match your base shape. Glue this on the back to hide all the glue and ribbons. Add a pin if you want to make it something someone can wear.
I don't know about you, but I know a few kids who would think they were pretty big stuff wearing one of these!
share this on »