Tuesday, June 23, 2009

party poppers tutorial - 4th of july fun!


I love parties and I love celebrating. We often buy those little party poppers to add to the festive mood. They're fun, but I sometimes get bored with the little confetti or tissue paper crowns that come out of them (and sick of cleaning them up!). So, I decided to make my own. This way I can put my own prizes in the middle and make them really fun. These party "crackers" are traditionally used at Christmas and New Year's, but they would be really fun for a Fourth of July barbecue or as a birthday party favor!

Party Poppers Tutorial

What you'll need:

*Toilet paper/paper towel roll

*Cracker Snaps--I bought mine at my local Packaging Specialties store. (They have locations in Seattle and Redmond WA, and Portland, OR.) You can find them online at some packaging/party supply sites, like Olde English Crackers. They're about $4.25 for 25 crackers.

*Tissue paper

*Ribbon*Cardstock

*Tape or glue

*Goodies to go inside the tube (candy, money, small toys, etc.)

1. Fill your tube with all the goodies. You can choose to put a small piece of tape over the openings to prevent them from falling out. I didn’t, but then I had to be really careful when finishing the party poppers.

2. Cut your tissue paper to your desired size.

3. Wrap the roll in tissue paper. Place the cracker snap on the outside of the roll after you wrap it in tissue paper. After some experimenting I found that the cracker snaps better if it is between the tissue paper and your card stock.

4. Cut your card stock to your desired length and attach to the outside of your roll. Glue or tape shut so it stays on.

5. Tie the ends of your roll off with coordinating ribbon. I used pinking shears to finish off my tissue paper edges, but this is not necessary.

6. Throw a fun party so you can use them! Get creative. This would be such a fun way to tell others you are getting married or you are expecting. I stuffed mine with dollar bills. My oldest daughter would like this much more than little toys or candy (meee tooo!).

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
21 Comments

21 Responses to “party poppers tutorial - 4th of july fun!”

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I love party crackers...and I live near the Portland Packaging Specialties. Love that store!

Thanks for the tutorial.

Stay Cozy, carrie

Thoris Designs said...

I really like that you put my favorite kind of bath & body works lip gloss in your cracker. i use that stuff every day.

i'm going to have to try making some crackers of my own.

-dejah thoris
thorisdesigns.blogspot.com

michelle said...

so fun...thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a fun tutorial! I have blogged about it and added a link back to your blog. Thanks for allowing others share your good ideas. :)

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

What a fun tutorial. Thanks for letting us know where to get the cracker...I had no idea where to get them.

Smiles,
Kelly

Night Owl Mama said...

too cute great idea love it

Verda said...

Very cute idea. I bet the kids love them. I just wanted to let you know that I love this blog. I just discovered you and I love your video on the crochet flowers. I actually made one. Your instructions are great.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh these are great! Thanks so much for the idea, I'll be linking.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic idea!

Ruth said...

These look like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing this tutorial with us.
Ruth

Not You said...

What a wonderful idea! Great for birthdays too!

Anonymous said...

fmy mom had the four of us kids make these for the elderly in our town @ Christmas time, just substitute holiday wrapping paper & fill with hard candies. We always did this during the day on Dec. 24th, delivering the tray of goodies (to the area nursing homes) after Christmas morning Mass. It kept us busy for at least 1 hour on the longest day of the year!

I followed this tradition with my five kids through the 80's- 90's, and now that I am going to be a grandmother in 2010, I'll be happy to continue this tradition!
HollyinVA

Anonymous said...

WoW!! I offen search for party accessories that's a Great idea for Birthday Party. I also found a place where u guys get more party accessories from 4FunParties coupons

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial hope you can check out our liquid gold poppers at www.topofthepoppers.com

asosh said...

oh, very good ....ı love this...
ı am the turkish woman and we have got a şugar bayram and ı want to make this party poppers tutorial for children...
thanks....

Anonymous said...

such a GREAT idea. i love crackers/poppers but the prizes are always dumb. now i can make it more special!!! xo.

Luna Bella said...

Hello,

Luckily in a search I stumbled upon your blog. I am on a quest to find a place to purchase the party poppers you mention in your blog in a June 23, 2009 post on "party popper tutorials".

I am looking specifically for the ones with the crowns in them. Do you have the name/link of where I can find?


Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am preparing for my son's combined 21st birthday, graduation and going away party.

You post on your blog or email me at http://lunabella8.blogspot.com/

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Hi Luna Bella,

I sometimes find them at stores like Williams and Sonoma or Crate and Barrel, especially around Christmas and New Year's eve. I know that some party stores have them, but they don't have the crowns and toys-just confetti. I hope this is helpful.

Elle The Heiress said...

I just blogged about this tutorial! http://www.elletheheiress.com/2010/07/fireworks-watermelon-charcoal.html

Lenetta said...

So fun! I linked to this on my weekly roundup to tuck away for next year. (I'm a big fireworks scrooge, so anything to help celebrate without them is awesome in my book!) Thanks for sharing!

mbryan88 said...

fantastic tutorial you guys should check out some of our gold poppers and bang poppers.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs