This quick and easy pillowcase makes kids want to go to bed at night! Cotton or flannel fabrics work well. You will need three coordinating fabrics. One for the body of the pillowcase, one for the cuff, and one for the trim that separates them. Whether you buy licensed designs like Cars® or Disney® Princesses, or just a fun fabric to match your child's room, these are sure to be a hit. (My boys are constantly fighting over the Scooby Doo® pillowcase in our house!)
Novelty Pillowcase Tutorial
What you'll need:
1/3 cut of fabric for the pillowcase cuff
1/8 cut of contrasting fabric for the trim
¾ cut of fabric for the main pillowcase body
Okay, let’s get started:
1. First, cut the cuff fabric to measure 11 inches by 42 inches.
2. Cut the trim fabric to measure 2 inches by 42 inches.
3. Cut the main body fabric to measure 27 by 42 inches.
4. Fold the trim fabric in half with the wrong sides together and iron flat.
5. Lay the cuff fabric on the table facing up.
6. Place the trim fabric on the cuff fabric by lining up the raw (cut) edges of the trim with the top edge of the cuff fabric.
7. Place the main body fabric face down and line the top edge with the top edge of the cuff and trim.
8. Take the bottom of the main body fabric and slowly roll it up until it is in the middle of the cuff fabric.
9. Take the bottom of the cuff fabric up and around both the body and trim fabric and line the bottom edge with the top edge of the fabric and pin into place. This will form a fabric tube.
10. Sew or serge along the pinned edge.
11. Slowly pull out the rolled main body fabric and turn the cuff right side out.
12. Iron flat.
13. Fold the large piece of fabric in half and sew the two raw edged sides together.
14. Turn inside out.
You're done! Sweet dreams!
After you make a few for yourself, post them on our Flickr group so we can see your creations!
share this on »