Tuesday, March 20, 2012

spring coffee filter flowers {tutorial}

I think I enjoyed those first couple of months of new baby time--where you don't feel like you have to commit to anything because everyone understands you're still adjusting to having a new little one--way too much. It was so nice. He'll be three months on Saturday. I think I'm officially back in the game, whether I want to be or not! Appointments, social engagements, service projects are slowly creeping back into my schedule (yeah, I had to get back on one). Back to being busy, back to getting up early and staying up late to get it all done. Case in point: the centerpiece assignment.


I love the chance I have to serve in my church helping plan meaningful activities for the women in our congregation, and the assignment I have right now is right up my alley. This month our women's group, which is called the Relief Society, held a celebration part for the organization's 170th birthday. One major part I had (in addition to helping with invitations) was the centerpieces. Of course I could've gotten away with doing next-to-nothing, but that's not who I am! I had to go overboard as usual. And I loved every minute of it. But finding the time to make it happen was harder than I thought it would be! Luckily I had help, and luckily these coffee filter flowers were super easy to create. Don't believe me? Read on.
 

Here's how to make and dye coffee filter flowers that look a lot like beautiful peonies (or carnations depending on how many filters you use)! You can custom dye them to match any theme or decor. These are perfect for wedding centerpieces or just to brighten up a room.


Coffee Filter Flower Tutorial

 Supplies:
*Coffee filters (about 8 per flower for peony-like flowers)
*Floral wire
*Green floral tape
*Wooden skewers
*Wire cutters
*Spray bottle and food coloring
*Paper piercer and mouse pad (optional)
 

1. Count out about 8 coffee filters for each flower and stack together. To make things easier, I poked three holes in the center of the stack with a paper piercer. Use a mouse pad underneath to protect your work surface.

2. Thread a piece of floral wire up through one hole and back down through another, leaving a 3 inch tail on each side.

 3. Next insert the wooden skewer through the third hole about half an inch. Wrap the wire tails around the skewer.

4. Wrap the entire stick, including the wire, with green floral tape.

5. Starting with the innermost layer, bring the sides of the filter up to the center, squishing it together. Move to the next layer, scrunching it around the previous layer, until all layers are scrunched up. Don't be afraid to really scrunch them together.




 6. Starting in the center again, carefully push the "petals" out until it looks the way you want it to.


Use flowers as-is (white), or continue on for custom colors!

7. To dye your coffee filter flowers, you'll need a spray bottle with water in it and a few drops of food coloring. I just added a little red for these pink flowers. You can make them as dark or light as you want, depending on how much food coloring you use and how much you spray them. Cover your work surface and spray flowers lightly until desired color is achieved. I tried not to spray them all pink--leaving some white makes them look more realistic.

8. If you sprayed your flowers, you will need to dry them so they keep their shape. You could leave them to air dry, or you could speed things up by sticking them in the oven! Lay your flowers on a cookie sheet. Place in a 200-degree oven for 5-20 minutes (until dry). The floral tape may become a little more transparent, but it shouldn't burn. It will be hot and sticky, so be sure to wait for them to cool before removing from cookie sheet.
Now they're ready to be gathered in a vase.
 

We put three in a small vase and included a couple of picture frames on each table with a dress cut-out in each (more info coming soon!).
You can wrap the vases with a doily, tiying on with some hemp and finishing with a button for more interest. Or not.

Love this spring-y look!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
20 Comments

20 Responses to “spring coffee filter flowers {tutorial}”

LMcBurney said...

I loved your flower tutorial. I want to thank you for sharing it. I do alot of women's events for church so I am always on the look out for ideas. Those events can be so stressful. You have given me an idea for our Mother/Daughter event in May!

Maxabella said...

These are super - but surely you get longer than 3 months! I'm still milking it and my youngest is 3 1/2... years! x

marinahunny said...

very creative! i love this!

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely! Thank you

Rachael said...

I truly thought they were real flowers at first. This is such a lovely tutorial.

Jennifer said...

Love the doily with the button. So romantic. Beautiful bouquet. I am going to try this!

Sarah Nicholson said...

Can you explain how you put the skewer through one of the wholes that you piece through the coffee filters? You don't show it or explain it.

iamb said...

Thanks that was great.. loved the flowers and your vases, all fun beautiful ideas!

Anonymous said...

I would of never guessed those were coffee filters, so creative and clever! ~Sam

Anna @ Creative Art Studio said...

LOVE IT! On this asap.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Sarah, I just poked the pointed end of the skewer through the third hole that I made with the paper piercer. You could do it without, but it would be harder. Hope that helps!

Sabrina said...

This is a great tutorial and I love that you included the vase "dressing" tips as well. The doily with the button is so simple and it looks great. Thanks again.

Jennifer said...

I made a bouquet of these for my Spring mantel {posted today}. They are gorgeous! I, of course, let everyone know where to find the tutorial!

Beca said...

This is perfect!! I found you on Pinterest. My parents are celebrating their 30th anniversary and I'm throwing them a party. I have tons of 'poufs', and started making some coffee filter ones, but was thinking I'd do something a bit different. And this fits the bill perfect! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this!! We're doing a tea party with moms/daughters, ages 8 to 11. We've been looking for some centerpiece ideas, and this is just perfect!! Thank you!

Unknown said...

these are great - thanks for posting!

The Pink Doormat said...

I love the idea of spraying the flowers with food coloring :) I tried this paper flowers too but instead of using coffee filters, I used cupcake liners. They turned out great :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't have floral wire and budget and time didn't allow so....Twist Ties!

Unknown said...

These turned out great! When coloring them I dipped them in a paint and water mix, squeezed the excess paint/water out and put them in the dryer for about 5 minutes or so, worked really good and fast!

Pjoyner03 said...

Thanks so much for sharing!!! These flowers turn out lovely!!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs