We harvested plenty of zucchini from our garden this year and although our absolute favorite thing to make with it is traditional zucchini bread, I also wanted to try a few new recipes this year. I found this zucchini cupcake recipe from Taste of Home and had to try it. It has caramel frosting and knowing that my husband, Kevin loves caramel almost as much as me, I figured it would be a winner. We all loved them and Kevin and my boys licked the frosting bowl clean before I could even finish frosting the cupcakes!
Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 to 2 dozen.
share this on »