Friday, November 18, 2011

zucchini cupcakes with caramel frosting

We harvested plenty of zucchini from our garden this year and although our absolute favorite thing to make with it is traditional zucchini bread, I also wanted to try a few new recipes this year. I found this zucchini cupcake recipe from Taste of Home and had to try it. It has caramel frosting and knowing that my husband, Kevin loves caramel almost as much as me, I figured it would be a winner. We all loved them and Kevin and my boys licked the frosting bowl clean before I could even finish frosting the cupcakes!


Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1-1/3 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini

  • CARAMEL FROSTING:
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup 2% milk
  • 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 to 2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in zucchini.
  • Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
  • For frosting, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.
  • Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1-1/2 to 2 dozen.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “zucchini cupcakes with caramel frosting”

Tammy Hershberger said...

OK, those look DELICIOUS! But I just had to chuckle.... you "harvested plenty of zucchini bread from our garden this year". Bread isn't easy to grow! I'm impressed! :)

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Ha! Oops! Apparently when I type zucchini, my fingers automatically follow after with bread :) We make it so much I can't disassociate the two! Thanks for catching that. I corrected it.
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Ooooh yummy, I love zucchini bread so I would probably love this! Thanx for sharing!

Natalie
www.projectdowhatyoulove.wordpress.com

Megan said...

Those sound SO good! I have some zucchini in the freezer that might need to end up in those. =)

Lacie said...

Those look so yummy. I'll have to try the recipe. I love making cupcakes.

Lacie

AJ said...

YUUUUM! I love the sound of this recipe, thanks for sharing and the gorgeous photo! Yum again!

CharityMay said...

caramel is my weakness. i have an oatmeal muffin recipe i think this frosting wants to meet.
LOVE YA!!

Johanna said...

I also have a strong liking for caramel , just love it ! I am completely taken with no surprise that your hubby and kids licked the whole caramel before you'd started frosting the cakes:)
By the way the cup cakes are looking delicious.
Check this -
The Cake Personality Test
Which cake are you like?
http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/cake-personality/cake-personality_instructions.asp

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs