My friend recently mentioned to me that she has been disappointed not to see as many of my regular recipe posts. So Megan, this one's for you! I have been trying to find some yummy, light recipes to make for my family. When I got my Cooking Light magazine in the mail this month, I knew I had to try the Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing. It was a big hit and I will definitely be making it again. I hope you enjoy it too!
Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse; drain well. Place orzo, corn, and next 3 ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl; toss.
- 2. Combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle over orzo mixture; toss. Top with avocado; garnish with remaining cilantro and parsley.
share this on »