Thursday, February 3, 2011

nook or kindle case {crochet pattern}

CHA pics and info coming soon--as soon as I can get my laundry under control! It was a GREAT trip! Until then, here's another fun crochet pattern.

My siblings and I went in on Nooks for our parents for Christmas this year. They read a ton, so we knew they'd enjoy them. My mom called me last week and said she is always worried it's going to get scratched in her purse, but the cases in the store were way too expensive. She thought there might be other readers out there with the same problem, so she suggested I do a tutorial for a Nook case! This crocheted version is for my dad (watch for the fabric version for my mom, coming soon!). So if you're looking for a more manly handmade gift for your Valentine, this may be it. It's similar to my cell phone/iPod case, so try that pattern if your love doesn't have an eReader!


Crocheted Nook or Kindle eReader Case Pattern

Supplies:
*Worsted weight yarn
*Size I crochet hook
*2 buttons
*Yarn needle

Stitches used:
*Single crochet (sc)
*Double crochet (dc)
*Moss stitch (explained in pattern)

Row 1: Ch 20. Sc in 3rd ch from hk. Begin moss stitch: Ch 1, sk st, sc in next st, *ch 1, sk st, sc in next st*. Repeat from * to * to end of row. Ch 2, turn.

Rows 2 - 56: Continue moss st: Sk 1st sc, *sc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc, sc in ch-1 sp, ch 1* across. Sc in last st. Ch 2, turn.

Row 57: Dc in 1st sc, dc in next st, dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 9 sts (both sc and ch-1 spaces). Ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next ch-1 sp, dc in next 2 sc. Ch 1, turn. (Two buttonholes made.)

Row 58: Sc in 2nd st from hk and in ea st across, including ch-1 spaces. Ch 1, turn.

59: Sc in 2nd ch from hk and in ea sc across. Fasten of and weave in ends.


To finish your case, fold the bottom end up 8 inches. Fold flap with buttonholes over the top. Your case should measure approximately 5" wide and 8" high.


Lay buttons on top of buttonholes. Make sure they'll fit through the opening (it will stretch a little).



Sew buttons to main piece under the flap with a yarn needle. I usually cut a length of the yarn I used for the project and separate it out into several strands, then use that to sew on my buttons. Perfect matching thread every time, and you only have to do a couple passes through the button to get a really good hold!

After your buttons are in place, fold the long piece backwards up 8". Imagine you have just turned it inside out. Using your yarn needle and a length of yarn, stitch up the two sides of the case. I use a whip stitch. Then turn your case right-side-out and button closed. That's it!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
31 Comments

31 Responses to “nook or kindle case {crochet pattern}”

Unknown said...

What a cute idea. I need one for my iPad.

Lindsey said...

Did I miss the changes for the Kindle??

Very cute pattern! My MIL just got a Kindle and I want to make one of these for her!

Lindsey

Createology said...

Great idea and safety gift to preserve that pricey ereader. Thank you for sharing your tutorial. Happy February Hearts...

Ashley said...

genious! now I need a Kindle! :)

Debbi said...

This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.
*smiles*
debbi

KanataNewf said...

Would also be great for a kobo!

meemsnyc said...

This is so adorable! What a cute idea.

Cait blog said...

oh my goodness! This is awesome! And simple enough that I can make it! ;) Thanks for sharing!

Eugenia said...

Thank you ladies,
For the great tutorial to make crochet hearts. I made a few for valentines' then a very delicate one to attach to a vintage cuff, please look at it, i posted some pics on my blog, and I mentioned your wonderful blog : )
thanks again,
Carmen

Little Birdie Secrets said...

No, you didn't miss changes for the Kindle. I decided they were close enough to the same size that either would fit, but somehow the changes I made to the post didn't happen when I posted. You're GOOD TO GO!

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

nice!!
love it!!

Debbie B said...

My sister and I both are followers of your blog and we both crochet AND our mom just got a Nook for christmas too so I emailed my sister saying I had first dibs on making this for mom! thanks for sharing! should be a good mother's day gift. :)

Anonymous said...

So cute! I have a new kindle and I have to say the $80 case that has the light on it, is SOOOO worth it. I read in bed at night every evening and that light is soooo handy and easy to deal with AND it's powdered by the kindle so no batteries! I love this case though, so cute!

Sara said...

I really want a kindle but haven't gotten one yet. :( I love this case! I will be linking up at Tangled Happy next week. Thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for this pattern!!! :)

I have a question...new crocheter here ;) When you start row two, I don't understand what it means when you say skip first single crochet. For some reason, I'm not getting that when I'm working on it...

Hiker7 said...

Just what I was looking for! thank you!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I am so excited to try this. I'm getting a Nook Tablet and wanted to start making this but want to wait till I actually get it to see the size and everything. Thank you SOO MUCH!

Victoria said...

I just got the Kindle Fire for Christmas and I wanted to find a case so this was perfect for me. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern it was easy and quick!!! It turned out to be so cute, all I need to do is find the right buttons :)

Nicole said...

Thanks for such a great idea! The pattern was easy to follow and made up quickly (while I was teaching my kids.) I found some vintage buttons in my Grandma's basement to add the perfect finish. Only cost me $1 - not bad.

Kath said...

This is a great pattern, thanks for sharing it! Very easy to follow instructions.

I made one for my friend and added some detail

http://somethingskathhasmade.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-am-fad-person-i-do-things-for-couple.html

Thanks again :)

Jonathan said...

very cute ive got to try it

Jodie. said...

Excellent pattern made my dad one for his new kindle touch and he loves it , only used one button instead of two and alterd the button hole pattern , only used less then a ball of wool ,most kindle cases are £30 ! thankyou for sharing.

Unknown said...

I've never attempted the moss stitch. I love this little case and my friend wants me to make her one. I am having problems with the first row. After I ch 20 and do the sc, ch 1, sk st, sc I still have one chain left! help?!?!?!

mrs. himschoot said...

I really like this pattern. I just tried to make slightly modified version for my husband's ipad mini . . . but I could get the rows to look at tight as you have pictured. Any suggestions?

lor said...

Thanks for the pattern! I made one last night and love the look of the moss stitch. Please check it out on my blog hookyhookycrochet.blogspot.ca

Carrie said...

I am having the same problem as Angi. When I get to the end of row 1 I have one left over. I have re-crocheted it three times thinking I was counting wrong. Suggestions?

Debra said...

Just finished making one for my mother's new Kindle Paper White. Had a couple of issues (including the same issue as cford22 and Angi) but just made some adjustments to make it work. I'd post a picture if I could!!

Anonymous said...

First time I've seen one for my Nook---Thank you so much! I may line mine with a soft fabric so the yarn doesn't scratch the reading surface. Or use an ultra-soft yarn. Any suggestions?

Kathy said...

Love this pattern although I did modify it just a little. Instead of turning it inside out and using a whip stitch, I finished it on the right side using a single crochet all around. I started at the bottom right hand corner and put a single crochet in the end of each row while holding both sides together. In the end of the row with the double crochet I put 2 sc. I did this all the way around and in the corners of the flap I put 3 sc in each of the 2 corner stitches. It gave it a nice edging and a more finished look.

Kathy said...

Love this pattern although I did modify it just a little. Instead of turning it inside out and using a whip stitch, I finished it on the right side using a single crochet all around. I started at the bottom right hand corner and put a single crochet in the end of each row while holding both sides together. In the end of the row with the double crochet I put 2 sc. I did this all the way around and in the corners of the flap I put 3 sc in each of the 2 corner stitches. It gave it a nice edging and a more finished look.

Jamie said...

I just made one for my kindle paperwhite! I used an H hook and Vanna's Choice yarn. I started with 19 chains instead of 20, as I also was ending up with one extra stitch at the end. I used a single crochet on the wrong side instead of the whip stitch. It fit my kindle pretty snug, but it stretches enough to get it in there and look very nice! Thanks for the pattern!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs