Monday, February 7, 2011

key to my heart necklace {tutorial}

I've been sneaking out of the house every couple of Saturdays to do some antique shopping with a cute group of girls I know. Girlfriend time + antique shopping = therapy, I tell ya! Recently I saw some gorgeous yet simple necklaces at a flea market made from an antique key and a piece of seam binding ribbon. For $12. I mean $12 isn't bad for a necklace, but you know me--I knew I could make it for waaaay less. So I did. Here's how.


Vintage Key To My Heart Necklace Tutorial

Supplies:
*Key
*Length of ribbon and some scissors, or a chain

1. Find some cool keys. I checked a few antique stores, and they each had a basket full of old keys for about $1 a key. It took some digging--most of them are not as cute as the ones I saw for $12. But I found two that were pretty darn cute. I loved this one because it looks like it's shaped like a heart.


And I fell in love with the beaded edge on this one.


2. Choose some matching ribbon or a jewelry chain.


3. Cut the ends of the ribbon at an angle.


4. Thread the ends of the ribbon from back to front through the hole in the key.


5. Pull the ends through the loop on the other end of the ribbon and pull tight.



I know, that really didn't need a tutorial, but I just wanted to show how easy these are to make, and for only $1! This would be a sweet Valentine's, Mother's Day, or birthday gift.


Then I started experimenting and adding my key to other necklaces that I have. Here's my key with the charm necklace I made at the Tim Holtz booth at CHA (my favorite make and take of the show--wait 'til you see his cool new metal-drilling tool we used!).


It looked pretty cute with this charm necklace my friend made for me, too!


And I liked it layered with a couple of chunkier necklaces. I've been layering necklaces a lot lately.


But finally I decided it was cute just on a chain with this mini bottlecap charm I also made at CHA. They're made by Bottle Cap Inc. and they're adorable with an image or monogram in the middle, or a sparkly rhinestone like I chose. This was the winner because it is so pretty, yet simple enough to wear with my Target sweatshirt!


And here's the other one layered with pearls for a little more sophistication. I'm thinking Valentine's date!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
20 Comments

20 Responses to “key to my heart necklace {tutorial}”

iram said...

nice and cute :)

judith@poppy cottage said...

Great ideas, they've got me thinking! Judith xx

Unknown said...

So beautiful! :)

☼ Carolina ☼ said...

nice! I love´t!!

Maya Kuzman said...

I think it is fabulous! Romantic and vintage at the same time!

homegrown countrygirl said...

When I was little I sometimes had to wear a key around my neck and it was not cool... but now you've made it beautiful and I want to do it again...!

Bethany Crowell said...

Super cute, friend!

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

This is beautiful! I just hopped over to Etsy and found three awesome keys in about 5 seconds! I also shared about your great tutorial on my blog. Thanks for sharing with the world!

Anna

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

terrific
I may have to raid my husband's key collection

meemsnyc said...

I love old keys. What a cute idea.

Deborah Mahnken said...

Cute idea! And I am totally jealous of your Tim Holtz necklace - I missed that make-and-take :(

The Puoci Girls said...

I wanted something to do with the key from our first house. This is such a simple and great idea.

Molly Hammond said...

such a beautiful idea! love it.

threesisterz.blogspot.com

everyday muses said...

the necklaces are lovely. the keys add a certain mystery--makes you wonder what they unlock. :)

TwoHeartsPath said...

I Love all of these!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Hugs Patti

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That's so pretty! Thanks for eh gorgeous how-to, I'll be linking to your necklace.

Lisa said...

These are so pretty! We just got a new front door fitted which means i have the old key spare, now i know what to do with it

myriahmae said...

I SUPER love these!! I'm jealous of your antique and girl's time! Love that I found your blog....come over and check mine out www.myriahmae.blogspot.com! Nice to meet you new bloggy friend!!

The Beading Gem said...

This post has inspired me to go check out my local antique stores! Such wonderful inspirations! Okay to link in a future blog post so others can come visit? Pearl

Lily, Pseudonym said...

I love this necklace, simple but so many variations! One question I have is when you layered the pearls with the ribbon key necklace, did you actually attach and if so, how did you attach? did you sew the pearl chain onto the ribbon? hope you understand the question lol Thanks! beautiful!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs