Monday, August 17, 2009

t-shirt refashion: flower necklines

Can you believe summer is almost over? I should be posting fun back-to-school ideas, but I just can't get excited about it yet! I'm hanging on to summer as long as possible. So this week we'll be featuring craft ideas with flowers--that's right, it's another theme week. Flower week. You know, so you can keep enjoying the flowers of summer all year long!

We've been ogling over all the wonderful refashioned t-shirts on Etsy and the tutorials found all over the Web, like the one we found here. It looked so easy that we thought it was time to try our hands at t-shirt refashioning. A quick trip to Old Navy to look through their clearance section and we scored t-shirts for $4.99.

To refashion a t-shirt, you'll need one plain shirt, and another spare one that matches. That's the one you'll cut up into pieces, which is why it needs to match. The girls at Enchantresses 3 paired up and shared t-shirts. So it's a fun group project, because if you like the same color, you can get an XL shirt and split it, which makes your finished shirt even less expensive.

To add flowers to your t-shirt, you basically just cut out small hearts (ours were about 2.5" long) and sew them in bunches to the neckline of the shirt. These simple refashions took only 30 minutes to do.


And my shirt looked even better after being washed/dried. I was worried about it looking funny, but the dryer fluffed up the flowers nicely. If you didn't want the fluffy look, we suggest hand washing and line drying your shirt. I love this shirt so much that I picked up another couple of shirts at Target last week for only $3.50 a piece!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
16 Comments

16 Responses to “t-shirt refashion: flower necklines”

Sue said...

LOVE THESE! Did you sew these with a sewing machine or by hand? I was just wondering if you used a machine how it worked with them? Thanks so much.

My Precious Peanut Designs said...

Love it! What a great idea! And something a non sewer like me can even do!!

Britney said...

LOVE this!

Kari Sweeten said...

LOVE THIS!!

Lo said...

Beautiful!!!

Leslie said...

Im totally in love with this idea... SO MUCH so... on my to do list!

Aimee said...

yes, please share how you stitched them on!

Girl with the Curlz said...

This looks very cute.

Unknown said...

I ADORE these! I'd love to see more detail about how you stitched them on the shirt. Did you just do a few stitches in each heart or did you sew a line up the middle or what? Also, did you sew each heart individually or sew a few at a time? I NEED to make one of these (or several...LOL)! They look like something out of a catalog!

Tia said...

Love this, such a great idea.

{amy k.} said...

I saw a shirt like this today and on sale it was $32! Thanks for the idea!

Custom t-shirts said...

Well i like the purple shirt most. It is looking very stylish. I just love to wear purple color. Its my weakness.

Sara Amrhein said...

Your blog is GREAT!!! Thank you so much! I am so excited to try some of these ideas! I have a ton a clothes left over from swishing parties with me and my girlfriends, now I k now what to do with them!

Dot said...

These are so cute! And i can see tons of possibilities with this technique :)
We've included this on dabbled.org today for our clothing refashion roundup...
dot

Link: http://dabbled.org/2010/02/clothes-tutorials-recycle-your-wardrobe.html

Kelli said...

I love this and can't wait to try it myself! I love all your great ideas!! Keep them coming!

Kelli
xoxo

Unknown said...

I am so excited to try some of these ideas

Awesome Tees

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs