Friday, August 14, 2009

crab cakes

We've posted about these yummy treats before, but we love them so much we can't help but talk about them again. It's summer in Seattle and crabbing season is open. We went out on the Sound to catch us a feast. We threw the crab pots in and baited the poles. In the meantime we took in the gorgeous sites--which included gray whales splashing and blowing. Amazing!


Then it was home to whip up our favorite crab cakes. We are fans of Tom Douglas (another great Pacific Northwesterner), so it is only fitting that we go straight to his cookbook I Love Crab Cakes! when we need a good recipe. We used 4 large Dungeness crabs to make these. We cooked the crabs in a pot and then removed all the crab meat. We then added chives, dill, lemon zest, mayo, and Japanese Panko. We patted them into little patties and them rolled them in more panko. We tweaked the recipe a bit and just browned them in a skillet using butter. Definitely our favorite recipe. Of course, we think the Coconut Crusted Crab Cakes is our favorite recipe, too. That and the Herbs de Provence one...there are so many "favorite" recipes, we suggest you try them all!

Crab Cakes before we browned them in a hot skillet full of butter.


Can't you just smell their crabby goodness?


Going, going.....


GONE!!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
7 Comments

7 Responses to “crab cakes”

Nicole-Lynn said...

YUM! The boys are too cute! :)

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

That sure beats buying crab in a can! It looks like a wonderful time-and I must find good crab to make that recipe!
~Nancy

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Those look so good! I just love crab cakes!

Jillian said...

I'm new to your blog and oh my goodness I love it! I am obsessed with pie in a jar and will be making my own very soon and I will also be making some sweater purses, too. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Nancy Cavillones said...

I went to two Tom Douglas restaurants when I was in Seattle a few years ago and LOVED it. We're going back to Seattle in October and I can't wait! I love crab cakes!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

I love crab cakes! I'm an inlander and don't ever get to see crab that fresh. Yummy. Will have to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen W. said...

Wow, I'm so impressed that you made those from sea to table. They look delicious, and what a fun (and educational) outing.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs