Friday, March 13, 2009

make your own thin mints



Are the Girl Scouts still at your local grocery store, tempting you each time you go shopping? I'm sad to see mine go! I love, love, love the Girl Scouts' Thin Mint Cookies. I could eat the whole box in one sitting. And have you tried the ice cream? To die for. Okay, so what do you do when they're gone and you have to wait a whole year to get more? Why make your own, of course! They're easier than you think, and taste almost exactly the same! You won't believe what the "cookie" part is.

Thin Mint Cookies Recipe

*Ritz Low Sodium Crackers
*1/2 package dark chocolate chips
*1/2 package milk chocolate chips
*Peppermint extract/flavoring (NOT mint, you want the peppermint)

1. Melt your chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave. Start by microwaving them for about two minutes. Stir well and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each time, until smooth. Add your peppermint flavoring (1-2 teaspoons, to taste).


2. Dip your crackers in the chocolate to cover. This can get messy, so you may want to use a fork to push the cracker down into the chocolate and lift it out. Try to make it a thin layer.


3. Lay each dipped cracker on a piece of wax paper. Allow to cool until chocolate is dry. They peel easily off the wax paper. That's it! Enjoy! This recipe yields about 2 dozen cookies.


If Thin Mints aren't your fave, try the Samoas featured by another great blog, Baking Bites. She has the recipes for all the Girl Scout cookies. Check it out!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
30 Comments

30 Responses to “make your own thin mints”

Pink Princess said...

MMMMMM Sounds yum and SO easy!!!
Thanks for the recipe, gonna try them one of these days. Gotta get the peppermint extract first.

Ink Obsession Designs said...

OMG - thank you for posting this!! I will absolutely be trying these out!

Nessa said...

Yum! Those look fantastic! I'll be trying this recipe soon! Thanks for sharing!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Oh dear, how could you do this to me at 7 am before I have had any breakfast? That is just right down plain cruel :) They look great. I'm making them this weekend.

Sarah said...

seriously, yesterday i thought to myself-- i wonder if i could find a thin mint recipe online-- y'all always have the BEST ideas-- you are awesome!

thetoddlerwhisperer said...

Oh how I wish I hadn't seen this blog...now I reluctantly am putting 'Must make thin mints' on my TO DO list!! (okay, not so reluctantly) I can't wait to try these!

Wendy said...

Oh yeah! Uh-huh!!! Thanks for this recipe. I'm off to the store!

Mama King said...

How cool! They look addictive!

pam said...

I've made these before and the kids love them; I have also taken the crackers and put a peanut butter mixture in the middle and dipped them in chocolate or peanut butter chips.

Carrie said...

What a GREAT idea! I buy them and freeze them for months and am always sad when they run out. This will help me get through the lean times. haha

that boy mitch, big O, and me! said...

Another great minty fav of mine is to melt Andies Mints on top of Brownies as SOON as they have come out of the coven. YUM-O!

And yes, never get the mint extract thinking you can sub it for peppermint. Ehhh!

This sounds yummy, can't wait to try it :)

Ashley said...

Oh... thank you for the link. I want to try them all!!!

Its_Lily said...

My girlfriend made these for us and they were delicious! I had forgotten and now I must make some of my own. Geez!

arah said...

those look good!
have you ever tried keebler's Grasshopper cookies? they are so good frozen.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

YUM! I am so linking to these!

Unknown said...

SO funny! we just made these this afternoon. with girardelli chocolate though :) because that's what we had! im sure they will all be eaten up by bedtime. 24 is not enough :)

Nicole said...

I have an unopened box of thin mints in my cupboard this very minute! But I will definitely need this recipe once those are gone!! Thanks!

the nightingale said...

That sounds so easy and those are my favorite kind of G.S. cookies! Thanks for posting!

. said...

Those are sooo good! I have also sprinkled crushed candy canes on top to add a little candy bling.

Brenbren said...

SaWeet! I am excited to try those!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I never knew it would be that easy! Thanks so much! This is my first time to your blog... love it!

Valerie
http://www.frugalfamilyfunblog.com

Unknown said...

Hiya from SITS!

What a fantastic recipe! I'll be checking this out soon! :)

CreativeMish said...

Ritz crackers? Who knew? Now I want to try them!

Ronda said...

What a wonderful recipe, I can't wait to try this, they look look so good.

Simply Vintagegirl said...

These look absolutely delicious! We just might have to try them out! :D

Joyfully,
Miss Emily Rose
www.SimplyVintagegirl.com

KristaC said...

Those look sooo good. Does it have to be the low sodium version of Ritz? Would they be too salty with regular Ritz? I wanna make these and that is all I have. I'm not a big Ritz eater so I have no idea what the taste difference is!

Your blog is so great, even for us who are creatively challenged :)

Julie Willis said...

I made the mints this weekend and am starting back on program tomorrow. They were great! Thanks.

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

These are a favorite of our families. I did a post on them back in December infact.
I usually make them with a bag of the andes mints baking bits or a half a bag of semisweet chocolate chips and half a bag of those green mint chips (both are found in the baking aisle right next to the chocolate chips).
Mmmmm, I think I need to make some more

Shannon said...

I have had these and they are delish!!

Anonymous said...

these are awesome! I've made these using Ritz and a bag of dark chocolate mint flavored chocolates - Wilton brand found in Michael's and AC Moore! Saw a lady make them that way on Martha Stewart's show last year.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs