Monday, January 30, 2012

easy burlap valentine banner {tutorial}

I'm still trying to put together my Valentine mantel between diaper changes and feedings, which is proving difficult, but this Valentine craft idea was a cinch. I finished it in about 20 minutes (minus the time to photograph the steps), and it only cost about $2. Here's how to make a simple--but darling--burlap Valentine banner / bunting for your Valentine's decor using not burlap, but jute webbing. And it does double holiday duty--you can use it again for Christmas decor!

Valentine Pennant Bunting Tutorial
Supplies:
*6 feet of jute webbing (this is used for upholstery projects and looks like a tightly woven burlap, and can be found at craft and fabric stores, or even at WalMart in the sewing/craft section)
*Baker's twine, string, or jute
*Scissors
*Sewing machine and red thread

1. Cut 10" pieces of the jute webbing. I got 7 pennants out of 6 feet of webbing. I found my jute webbing on a roll at Walmart, but I've also bought it at JoAnn by the yard for about $.50 per yard.

2. Fold one end in half lengthwise.
 

With the fold nearest you, cut a wedge out of the folded end at about a 90 degree angle from the fold down to the bottom of the long side, creating two points. (Be careful not to cut toward the fold or you'll get a pennant with one point in the center!)
 

Unfold and you have a nicely centered notch in one end.

2. Now you'll cut the other side. You could use the same method as above, but I recommend this instead so your two ends will match up perfectly. Fold the webbing in half width-wise, matching up the points of the cut side to the bottom of the other side. 

Holding the two ends together, cut a triangle out of the bottom piece, using the top piece as a guide. The two ends should match.
 

3. The next step is to sew the pennants onto your twine or string. To make a banner with the same number of pennants and space between them, you'll want about 60" of twine. However, I wasn't sure how long I wanted it, so I did not cut my twine until I was done sewing all the pennants on. 
Fold a pennant in half over the twine and pin together. Make sure your twine is lying snugly against the inside of the fold.

Sew across the top of the pennant about 1/4" from the top. Be sure not to sew over your twine. You're making a snug casing, but you want to be able to move your pennants after you're done. 

Turn at each corner and continue sewing around the pennant with a 1/4" seam allowance. Doubling the pennant this way will make it much sturdier and help it to lay flat.

Add the next pennant to your twine and repeat.

Hang your banner and space out your pennants evenly. They should be snug enough to stay put, but loose enough that you can move them. I spaced mine about 5" apart across my mantel.
 



Sweet and simple!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “easy burlap valentine banner {tutorial}”

Lauren said...

I love it! I wish I had a sewing machine. I'll have to borrow my moms. :)

I'd love for you to share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinteresting-party-week-24.html

Ann On and On... said...

Love that ribbonjute/. I would never have thought of that. Thanks!

Createology said...

Love the texture of the burlap with the paper lace doilies. Blissful creating...

Karen said...

This is so pretty! I saw that jute webbing at JoAnns the other day and thought it would be cute to make something with! Now I have an idea;) Thanks so much for sharing!!

Lauren said...

I just wanted to pop back in and let you know you have been featured this week! {http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/02/pinteresting-party-week-25.html} Thank you so much for taking the time to link up!

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. I probably would have hot glued it because I'm not great with my machine. But what I love about yours is the extra stitching detail.

Jill said...

This is a great idea. I'm not sure we can get that burlap stuff in the UK, but I will definitely be looking.

Kim said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! Its my favourite place to visit - you never cease to amaze me!... thank you so much for sharing your beautiful ideas & for making your tutorials soooo easy to follow. xo

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs