Friday, November 5, 2010

apple rolls


We have a friend. Her name is Shelley. She is fabulous. She is very creative and is a great cook. Today she is sharing a blog post with us. This is how to make some yummy apple rolls. Take it away, Shelley...

My name is Shelley and I am a King Arthur Flour addict.


I just started my subscription to their "Baking Sheet". It's a magazine they send out full of recipes and no ads. How cool is that? The holiday issue is packed with yummy things I can't wait to try. This morning I started with Luscious Apple Rolls. Can I just say, they were appropriately named?

So here goes:

Syrup:
In a medium sauce pan combine the following:
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 3/4 cups water or 1 cup apple cider and 3/4 cups water. (I used apple cider from Costco. Make one cup for the syrup and one for you to enjoy while doing all the prep work.)
Add 2 Tbsp butter.
Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat and let cool. ( I think I want to make this again for apple pancakes. mmmm.....)

The pastry
:
Sift together:
2 cups flour (King Arthur Flour)
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
Then cut in:
1/2 cup unsalted butter
Mix until mixture resembles coarse meal.

In a separate bowl stir together:
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg

Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Blend just until dough is evenly moistened. It will be dry. That's OK. Dump dough out onto lightly floured sheet of Parchment paper.
If you don't have any, you seriously need to get some. King Arthur Flour has it here. The great thing about it is that you can wash it and reuse it over and over again as long as you are careful and don't tear it. It will become your new must have in the kitchen for baking.

Now take one side of the parchment paper and fold it over, then press dough flat like this:

Unfold the paper, turn it and do it again rotating the dough. This is what creates the layers of the pastry and makes it light and flaky. It's OK if there are chunks of butter visible. Trust me, you want them there. Fold and press the dough a few times to help the dough stick together. Then lightly flour your rolling pin and roll the dough out to a 9x12 inch rectangle.

King Arthur Tip: The standard rolling pin barrel is about 9 inches. A super easy way to measure your dough.


Next get two apples. To keep things festive I used a Golden, and a Cameo. Shred the apples and mix with 1 Tbsp lemon juice.

Evenly spread apple shreds on pastry dough, leaving about 1 inch space on the long end of one side to seal the seam. Carefully roll the dough up and cut with Dental floss, unflavored kind, like you do with cinnamon rolls. Gently place in well greased 9x13 pan. There should be 12 rolls.

Pour the syrup on and around the rolls. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of one of the rolls comes out clean. Remove from oven and serve warm.


They are seriously Heavenly!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
18 Comments

18 Responses to “apple rolls”

Becki and Jeff said...

Ooooo I am going to have try those!!

Janet said...

Thankyou! These look so delicious! I'm definately going to try them. :)

TeenaBugg38 said...

oh my word!!!! These look YUMMY!!! I can only imagine the aroma in your ketchen as these were baking!! this is a must try one for me.....thank you so much for sharing...I gotta sub to that magazine!

CourtneyKeb said...

My husband will love these!
I'm looking forward to it smelling up the kitchen!! :)

Danelle said...

YUM! These sound so amazing :) Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

I'm definitely trying this recipe tomorrow morning! They look delicious!

Jessica said...

This sounds super delicious! I am assuming that the first ingredient for the syrup is supposed to be sugar, rather than flour...

Belinda said...

Well, there goes my diet....

Shana Putnam said...

Oh those look so good. I will have to try them for sure.

WallFry said...

Oh my they look sooo good. If only I had time to make them... I am going to make time to make them. Thanks!

Teri said...

Yum!

My Daily Creation said...

Wow, those look amazing! I am definitely going to make those soon. My first job out of high school was working at Cinnabon and ever since then my family is always asking me to make cinnamon rolls. Can't wait to change it up and bring these to the next gathering!

Thanks for the recipe.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Yes, Jessica thanks for that correction. I have changed it in the post :)

Leslie said...

made these this morning.
and let me say, that syrup is heavenly..... I want to put it on anything.. its that good.

Tammy and Chris said...

Ohhhh I can't wait to try! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

we just made them all we can all say is yummy

suz said...

sounds heavenly. My mom was a professional chef and only used King Arthur. I live about 1 1/2 hours from their store and would take her up there several times a year, although she also purchased things through their catalog. I didn't realize they had a newsletter - just signed up! I love the quilting world...we do have our priorities straight...fabric, food, thread, food, sewing, food....

Rachel said...

Mmmmmm. I just made these tonight. So yummy. Question though: I live in the south, so it's humid, and they turned out more cakey than pastryish! What did I do wrong? Also, the dough was very moist after barely mixing it. I hate to mess up recipes so I didn't try adding flour. Could that have helped?

Either way, they were still YUMMY!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs