Wednesday, October 20, 2010

spooky halloween banner tutorial - reader submission

It's not too late to decorate for Halloween! Our friend Melynie (who's also an interior designer) always has the most amazing seasonal mantel displays, and Halloween is no exception. For this week's reader submission, we give you the awesome Melynie and her "spooky" Halloween decor. Thanks for sharing, friend!

Halloween Mantel Decor and Spooky Banner Tutorials
Come to my place for a little Halloween inspiration!

I emptied a case of IBC cream soda, swished termpera paint inside (to make it creepy, of course), and printed off {free} labels from this awesome site. I just printed off the labels, cut them out and attached them to my bottles! Super easy, and, really, who doesn't need a little swamp fog or moon dust?

The jack o' lantern and ghost lumnaries, Michaels. The tarantulas and spiderwebs, Dollar Tree. The black books, bookshelf or Goodwill (the more beat up looking the better. I didn't want to totally destroy my books in case I want to read them again). "Boo" sign, Target. Candle holders, little boutiques across the country. Windows, old buildings. And (as pictured at the top) pumpkins, leaf garlands and berries, Michaels.

My 'spooky' bunting was this year's mini project. To haunt your own house with it you'll need:
*white, black and orange cardstock
*pinking shears
*Mod Podge
*foam brush
*hole punch
*hole punch reinforcement stickers (opt)
*silver glitter
*black tulle


I made a triangle template by folding a piece of paper in half and cutting from the top outside corner to the folded center, about 9 inches down. I traced the template onto card stock and cut the long sides with pinking shears.


I used my Cricut machine to cut out the 4" letters, but you could also print them out and use them as a pattern to cut them out. Using the foam brush, I applied Mod Podge over the whole thing to seal it and sprinkled glitter around the edges before it dried.

I used the hole punch reinforcement stickers on the back edges,punched my holes and applied a coat of Mod Podge. Then using 2" strips of black tulle, I tied them together.


Happy Halloween!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
8 Comments

8 Responses to “spooky halloween banner tutorial - reader submission”

Kat said...

As always...amazed by your creations!!! Thanks!!

Kyla Armstrong said...

This is super cute! I'm adding it to my to-do list for next year.

http://funkypolkadotgiraffe.blogspot.com/

LacyHolly said...

I love the whole mantel!! Creative as always! Thanks for sharing :)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

The whole mantel is great! The banner is wonderful!

-Sydney- said...

I certainly hope you drank the IBC cream soda and didn't just empty it down the drain :) Very cool!! Makes me really wish I had a mantle!

Wendy Gay said...

Love it, Reproduced it. Check out my blog www.scrapnwendy.blogspot.com

Amy @ TheMombot.com said...

Love this mantel! I featured it in my "best of" Halloween mantels post :)
http://www.themombot.com/crafting/2011/10/21/link-love-halloween-mantels

AbbyMaddyDesigns said...

I just did a complete double take when I saw this mantle! We just moved into a home in Woodbridge, VA and this is our EXACT mantle, all the way down to the granite! I wonder if we live in the same neighborhood? Lol Crazy!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs